Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

rear diff swap

Guest loren

Guest loren

I have an LSD I want to put in the rear diff housing. I have very limited time.

I don't want to remove the diff housing from the car... if that is required then

I won't try and do it just yet.

Can someone please point me to instructions on this... or just let me know if

it's easy enough to just get stuck in and figure it out for myself?

Thanks.

Sorry mate, you have timed out !!

You need to remove diff from car to fit lsd

set up is easy, but you MUST know what you are doing otherwise it will whine or possibly sieze

Guest loren

nearly got the diff out... just can't slide it back enough for the two bolts at the top back of the diff to

slide out of the diff carrier. Seems like I must drop he drive shaft down AND drop down and slide

back the front diff carrier?

Not without damaging them !!

Order a new pair of carrier bearings (cheaper from SKF or SAECO ) then genuine and same quality

Need to press these bearings onto your new diff carrier and replace the shells in the side bells (shells will come with bearings)

Remove your crownwheel and fit to new carrier also, the bolts MUST be torqued

After you assemble the diff head again, you MUST check backlash (tooth clearance)

Guest loren
 Ichi Ban said:

Not without damaging them !!

Order a new pair of carrier bearings (cheaper from SKF or SAECO ) then genuine and same quality

Need to press these bearings onto your new diff carrier and replace the shells in the side bells (shells will come with bearings)

Remove your crownwheel and fit to new carrier also, the bolts MUST be torqued

After you assemble the diff head again, you MUST check backlash (tooth clearance)

Thanks dude.

I have no intention of putting it back together though, you scared me out of that...

I'm going to take it all apart, clean it all up, get all the new parts I need, and give it to a mechanic.

oh, so you think from the pics the standard bearings will fit the cusco diff?

Guest loren
 Ichi Ban said:

Drop the diff off to me next week and I can sort it for you :)

Do you have new seals etc?

Got new seals, the big gasket, some rubber rings ordered... not sure if I've got everything I need

because I just took it apart today, so may need to order more stuff... the side gaskets maybe,

and bearings obviously.

Once I've got everything I'll drop you a line.

cheers.

No side gaskets in your diff

That's what the O'rings are for :)

No need to remove the pinion !! Unless you have a leaking front seal

If you do then you MUST mark the shaft and nut to ensure correct preloading of bearings when tightening the pinion nut back up

Guest loren
 Ichi Ban said:

No side gaskets in your diff

That's what the O'rings are for :)

No need to remove the pinion !! Unless you have a leaking front seal

If you do then you MUST mark the shaft and nut to ensure correct preloading of bearings when tightening the pinion nut back up

Nah not going to remove the pinion. Not sure what the story with o-rings and side gaskets is though...

one side only had a big o-ring, both sides had gaskets. Maybe the diff has been rebuilt already?

O'ring may be still sitting in diff housing

It would have poured oil out if it was missing

The gaskets are actually shims, they are for set up of carrier / crownwheel position and preload on bearings

Make sure you keep them sorted to where they came from, as it speeds up assembly :)

Guest loren
 Ichi Ban said:

O'ring may be still sitting in diff housing

It would have poured oil out if it was missing

The gaskets are actually shims, they are for set up of carrier / crownwheel position and preload on bearings

Make sure you keep them sorted to where they came from, as it speeds up assembly :)

crap, too late for that :-[

so whats the diference? my legacy has been converted to rwd, properly, locked centre diff, removed front shafts, custom front hubs, etc, my original diff blew and now I have another r160 in it that my mechanic freshened up (new seals, shims etc) and it seems to perform like a lsd should, locks up nice and quick under acceleration etc and has lasted well under the abuse it has recieved. I have been told I should get a r180 diff, what diference should I expect from a r180? failing that, how much would it cost me to get parts/labour etc to do a cusco conversion like loren?

Viscous LSD, needs to see slippage to generate heat to lock up coupling = system works well for most people

Plate LSD, use's input torque to lock up coupling = best for high perf applications

Guest loren
 zarnah said:

so whats the diference? my legacy has been converted to rwd, properly, locked centre diff, removed front shafts, custom front hubs, etc, my original diff blew and now I have another r160 in it that my mechanic freshened up (new seals, shims etc) and it seems to perform like a lsd should, locks up nice and quick under acceleration etc and has lasted well under the abuse it has recieved. I have been told I should get a r180 diff, what diference should I expect from a r180? failing that, how much would it cost me to get parts/labour etc to do a cusco conversion like loren?

an R180 would suit you better, it is a plate LSD like the cusco and will be lower maintenance I think and stonger.

You need to change a few things though, rear hubs and axles... other stuff maybe?