Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gizzmo MS2 Boost crontol / gauge / turbo timer

duckandcover

Has anyone owned / tried / heard of this product

On paper seems to look good, seems reasonably priced for the 3 units combined. and the reason this has been very attractive to me was, im trying to keep the car looking original, and its much easier to hide 1 unit, than it is to hide 3.

details can be found here : http://www.gizzmoelectronics.co.nz/

i am assuming the price will be around 500-600, retailing in the US for $299, and 1 listed here on trademe from gizzmo nz starting at 499

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Electronics/auction-281326064.htm

it says on the website not available yet, but i also found one on trade that the same person was selling, so im assuming the website info is old.

Any thoughts, ideas, criticism.

gizzmo have been around for many years, i have one of there fuel controllers with the vtec adjustment thing for all the hondas and the like, it did a great job, the only problem i had was i broke one of the button things hahaha, but that was my fault.

-smurff

Thanks SMurff, ive pretty much made teh decision to go ahead and purchase it, unless there was some damning criticism, or someone could suggest a superior device (i ahvent found any with all 3 combinerd yet).

It also has the additional bonus of fitting nicely where the ashtray curently is.

there are so many different types out there it can be hard to know, i can't think of anyone saying anything negitive, but ther may be other items out there for the same price that other members can recomend, then you can have more to think about lol

-smurff

Ive been looking for something that combines all 3 for over a week, tried HKS, Greddy, turbosmart and pretty much any catalog i can get my hands on, tried getting advice from Mag & turbo, repco, my local auto sparky and mechanic, and have only managed to come up with this 1 so if there is anyhting that any one can suggest, id be very keen to know.

Personally I'd be looking for the unit that has the best reputation for being a good, reliable, easy to use boost control unit (that also has a readout so you can use it as a gauge) and forget about turbo timer functions. Just learn to not thrash your car right up until the minute you park it i.e. if you've been driving spiritedly, give it a chance to cool down a bit by cruising the last few kms to your destination.

Personally I think turbo timers are a farce dreamt up by the aftermarket industry as its easy money for them yet how many manufacturer's have these as standard on their turbo vehicles?

The HKS and Greddy units both have great reviews as boost controllers aswell.

Gizzmo are huge in the states now and known for quality products and parts. Funnily enough, HKS etc use the same solenoids and you pay more for them.

I have gizzmo and its so easy to use and works bloody well.

Koom said:

The HKS and Greddy units both have great reviews as boost controllers aswell.

I looked at the Greddy units which are 695 retail and have very good reviews, they seem to ahve the same features less the turbo timer, but i find the display a little hard to read compared to the gizzmo (i have terrible eye sight).

I agree whole heartedly about the turbo timer, and its very rarely i get the oppurtunity to "drive spiritedly" and when i do i always allow for the car to cool down, however my wife also drives the car, and i doubt she takes the same amount of care with it i do.

Swindog said:

Gizzmo are huge in the states now and known for quality products and parts. Funnily enough, HKS etc use the same solenoids and you pay more for them.

I have gizzmo and its so easy to use and works bloody well.

What sort of Gizzmo gear are you using at the moment?

The MSIBC.

Had it a year and half now. Comparing my mates HKS boost controller and mine, mine is way easier to do on the fly and setup from new.

TypeRrated has a greddy one and its a pain in the arse and cant actually give him the settings he needs to use. We put the gizzmo in his and it was fine.

Once you get your head round the percentages instead of psi or bar its awesome.

6 maps. Overboost, boost spike, boost gauge...real goood. It did used to use a E-boost and im told those are really good too but too expensive.

thanks Swindog.

When originally installing your MS-IBC did you have any complications, did you need to know factory boost etc? is there any anything that you would recommend knowing / doing before i consider trying it myself?

Just ahd a call back, confirmed price of $525 inc GST and Freight, im thinking this is pretty reasonable, and am going to order today. Ill post pics when it arrives for anyone else who is interested, and permitting intall and setup (all depending on if i think i can do it myself).

Thanks for the offer of help.

I sure hope so, ive ordered the MS2, seeing as the MSIBC seems to be going on clearence everywhere, Im guessing that the MS2 is a replacement model, and being newer im assuming that manual will be accurate (hopefully).

I managed to track down a Manual on a skyline UK forum, I havent had a chance to browse through it yet. The boss is going home at 3pm, so ill get a chacne to see it after that.

If i get into trouble ill try and coax nt_a_foz with $$$ and booze to help out.

Koom said:

Is nt_a_foz old enough to drink booze now?? haha

hence the reason i didnt mention sexual favours

Thanks for the link, that looks the same as what i found, although boss is still here, so i havent had a chance to read it over yet