Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

helllllllllllllllp

danz-rs

hey guys my 1990 rs has problems again......its overheating after bout 30 mins driving....i thought it was a blown head gasket but my mate who checked it out says it cant be for a number of reasons....1.theres no water in the oil...2.the bottom pipe on the radiator is lukewarm.....3.steam is coming out of the radiator cap......he says most probably its the water pump not circulating the water....is he correct?? hes no expert in subarus but has a fairly good understanding of cars but as i say hes not 100% sure....just fitted an ra gearbox and brand new exedy h/d clutch aswell!!! gutted but if anybody could lend some advice or knowledge would be great.....

Take the radiator cap off and run the car till warm and see if the water is flowing through. If not, could be stuffed thermostat... remove and run without one just to see if it overheats - but MAKE SURE you get a replacement.

Also, check your radiator fans are working when she's warm.

Usually a water pump will leak out the front if it's stuffed... are you loosing water?

Could possibly have air locked in there... have you dropped your radiator fluid lately?

Just trying everything possible to avoid the dreaded head gasket...

yeah totally drained the water out of it....yeah i thought it was the head gasket!! was gutted as after just putting the new box and clutch in but my mates pretty sure its not because of the signs of a blown head gasket its not showing...im not hardout mechanically minded but yeah seems like it maybee the water pump but i wanted some other opinions :)

Guest boostcut

if your headgasket is blown then it will not always make the oil/water mix. the reason it would overheat is because compression gasses are getting into the cooling system. a t.k head check will prove this, however it could be simply a blocked radiator or heater core, it sounds like your thermostat is stuck closed when you say the lower hose is only warm.

edit: damn you monkeys are fast.

Pull the cap off and see if you have bubbles in the water. And if your losing water through the overflow then that can be a sign of a blown head gasket. Compression getting into the water galleries and pushing the water out. I've had this happen before.