Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1999 BH Legacy Info for a newcommer to Subaru's

Hi guys,

As the subject states this is my first time owning a Subaru. I've had a good look through the forum about a few little issues that have raised there head on the 99(BH) TS-R Wagon I recently purchased for my wife, plenty of good info on here, but I need your guys help to clarify a few things.

Firstly, (Stock standard wagon, 113km on the clock, I've got lots of mechanical experience except on Subaru)

1. Engine fault codes and ECU reset - Can I check them via the CEL light or am I better off to buy an OBD2 cable and download the "ECU Explorer" software for my laptop(if so where do I buy the cable from)

2. The car surges under gentle acceleration - I'm waiting on the local dealer to get some Upper engine cleaner in, will check the fault codes once I work that out and see if its the O2 or AFM(how much should I expect to pay for a AFM so I don't get ripped off?) Any other pointers would be great.

3. Any recommendations on a good subaru mechanic in Taranaki if I can't sort it myself.

Great site, cheers for the help

Hi and welcome,

CEL codes can be checked via the CEL light, have a search and you will find out how ( i will have a look for it soon for you aswell )

cant help you with the other 2 questions sadly

-Smurff

Guest keltik

Surging...no idea. Maybe throttle position sensor...maybe a million other things

Codes are easiest checked with a scanner. The light will flash out a code but thats a lot harder than just googling the P-code the scanner will give you.

If you can lay your hands on a subaru select monitor - you can datalog the tps sensor and a few others to see if they are causing the surging.

crc's maf cleaner on the air flow meter can work. But really pissing in the wind without a code. Is the ' check engine' light on? Or flash intermittantly?

And by surging under gentle acceleration, do you mean the initial part of the throttle say- lift off to slight pressure, where the car judders back and forth. Or do you mean further up the revs when you're moving and it hesitates and surges?

cut n paste from the manual

1. ENGINE S078257A1001

NOTE:

Malfunction of parts other than those listed is also possible. <Ref. to ME-87, Engine Trouble in General.>

Symptom Problem parts

1. Engine stalls during idling.

1) Idle air control solenoid valve

2) Intake manifold pressure sensor

3) Intake air temperature sensor

4) Intake air temperature and pressure sensor

5) Ignition parts (*1)

6) Engine coolant temperature sensor (*2)

7) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)

8) Camshaft position sensor (*3)

9) Fuel injection parts (*4)

2. Rough idling

2) Intake manifold pressure sensor

3) Intake air temperature sensor

4) Intake air temperature and pressure sensor

5) Engine coolant temperature sensor (*2)

6) Ignition parts (*1)

7) Air intake system (*5)

8) Fuel injection parts (*4)

9) Throttle position sensor

10) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)

11) Camshaft position sensor (*3)

12) Oxygen sensor

13) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

3. Engine does not return to idle.

2) Engine coolant temperature sensor

3) Accelerator cable (*6)

4) Throttle position sensor

5) Intake manifold pressure sensor

6) Intake air temperature sensor

7) Intake air temperature and pressure sensor

4. Poor acceleration

1) Intake manifold pressure sensor

2) Intake air temperature sensor

3) Intake air temperature and pressure sensor

4) Throttle position sensor

5) Fuel injection parts (*4)

6) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

7) Engine coolant temperature sensor (*2)

8) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)

9) Camshaft position sensor (*3)

10) A/C switch and A/C cut relay

11) Engine torque control signal circuit

12) Ignition parts (*1)

5. Engine stalls or engine sags or hesitates at

acceleration.

4) Engine coolant temperature sensor (*2)

5) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)

6) Camshaft position sensor (*3)

7) Purge control solenoid valve

8) Fuel injection parts (*4)

9) Throttle position sensor

10) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

EN-350

GENERAL DIAGNOSTIC TABLE

Engine (Diagnostics)

Symptom Problem parts

6. Surge

5) Crankshaft position sensor (*3)

6) Camshaft position sensor (*3)

7) Fuel injection parts (*4)

8) Throttle position sensor

9) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

7. Spark knock

4) Engine coolant temperature sensor

5) Knock sensor

6) Fuel injection parts (*4)

7) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

8. After burning in exhaust system

5) Fuel injection parts (*4)

6) Fuel pump and fuel pump relay

*1: Check ignition coil & ignitor assembly and spark plug.

*2: Indicate the symptom occurring only in cold temperatures.

*3: Ensure the secure installation.

*4: Check fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.

*5: Inspect air leak in air intake system.

*6: Adjust accelerator cable.

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll have a go at checking the code in the weekend.

Surging happens from 1500 to around 3 or 4 thousand rpm, feels like its down on power in that rev range to me as well but I have not driven another one to compare yet. once you get to 4000rpm the surging disappears and the engine picks up. Its very gentle surge under acceleration, was thinking maybe intake leak could be it also?

It only happens about 70% of the time, got me buggered! Will let you know what I find by checking the CEL codes. Have either of you to tried using a laptop on the obdII port?

Forgot to mention the car is a manual.

Guest boostin

99 is too early for P codes. It will have the old 2 digit fault codes.

A surge in these things can be pricey to track down. The usual culprit is the oxygen sensor though. Unplug it and go for a drive. If it still surges, its not the O2.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar fault, and 2 mechanics diagnosed it as being the O2 sensor. The cars CE light would come on under load (hills and accelerating on the motorway) while also seeming a bit sluggish. I took it to a third mechanic and it turned out to be the spark plugs. Perhaps check them and see how you get on?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice to see other people are having similar problems. I'm in the throws of trying to diagnose poor acceleartion/hestitation in the lower rev range on my TS-R 2000. Was going beautifully up until I had the cam belt done.

Since then I've had a new Knock sensor, new IACV (which fixed my car's cold start problem - nearly always died on first start then fine on second). I've cleaned the AFM/MAF and coming back form long trip today the engine light came on and I'm expecting to find out its the O2 sensor. Boo. Nearly $600 a pop. Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

nope mines still a gutless but nice driving machine. I'll have it swapped to a GTb by the end of the year. Sick of thrashing gears to get over hills.

compared to any other NA car I've ever owned its the slowest by a mile. either somethings wrong or it's just underpowered to haul nearly 1700kg of kerb weight around.

cpt kernow said:

nope mines still a gutless but nice driving machine. I'll have it swapped to a GTb by the end of the year. Sick of thrashing gears to get over hills.

compared to any other NA car I've ever owned its the slowest by a mile. either somethings wrong or it's just underpowered to haul nearly 1700kg of kerb weight around.

Mines fine, pulls well i think. People are impressed by its performance :o