Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v3 v5 heads,gaskets cam grinds etc... help required

kwikfix

ok i had a over heating problem and have brought myself some second hand heads fella says they are v3 sti but a im un shaw, any way to tell?

i have also got myself a pair of v5 heads coming soon. i think they were offered on this site a few weeks ago,

witch ones would be better to use?

is there any way to tell what model they are off.. ie legacy wrx sti etc?

do i need adapter plates to use v3 intake manifold on v5 heads?

i am also in need for head gaskits,but am a little un shaw of what thickness to use or if i need cosmetic ones....hmmm

i really want to do some head work cams springs to improve things a little but again cam grinds?? 272 with 400 lift?

i have closed deck forge bottom end rods pistons etc,twisted turbo,external wastegate,microtec ecu external coils,front mount, flows if any of this help determine the correct gaskets, i would like to run about 350 kw @the wheels...

350 is dreams on pump gas

V3 and V5 have differnt intake manifold bolt pattern, so yes adaptors (never seen any for sale !! ) or manifold change

What turbo and boost do you run? or wnat to run

V5 heads will take 10.5mm lift cams without extra machining (420 lift )

Call Kevin at Kelford Cams in Christchurch tell him what you want from your engine, power range etc and he will supply cams to suit

You can Say Rick from Sub Performance refered you and highly recommends Kelford cams in EJ20

Ichi Ban said:

350 is dreams on pump gas

V3 and V5 have differnt intake manifold bolt pattern, so yes adaptors (never seen any for sale !! ) or manifold change

What turbo and boost do you run? or wnat to run

V5 heads will take 10.5mm lift cams without extra machining (420 lift )

Call Kevin at Kelford Cams in Christchurch tell him what you want from your engine, power range etc and he will supply cams to suit

You can Say Rick from Sub Performance refered you and highly recommends Kelford cams in EJ20

350 is my goal ;)

i run to4z i think and only at 7psi rev limit 5k for run in, but got hot while i was away,i plan to get garret 35/40 and would like 20psi max i think

rang kevin he said hi and was helpfull so saving my beans 1200 of them for cam grind

what type of gaskets ? i have found some on trade me $190 for 1.3 or 1.5 mm

also is there another reason why they get hot? i have noticed when heater is on full and turned up hi it still kinda cold, would that be ecu settings or a craped out heater core. ???

ANYONE???

• 2 weeks later...

When you're saying that the heater isn't putting out any heat, does the engine temp guage show normal temp or is it sitting on dead cold?

Could be the thermostat. Could be low on water in the engine too i.e. no water flowing through the heatercore so therfore no heat coming out of it. Could always try flushing it out.

I'd use the factory steel shim gaskets and the thickness can be dependant on your pistons and how much clearance you have to your valves as well as what compression you're after.

Koom said:

When you're saying that the heater isn't putting out any heat, does the engine temp guage show normal temp or is it sitting on dead cold?

Could be the thermostat. Could be low on water in the engine too i.e. no water flowing through the heatercore so therfore no heat coming out of it. Could always try flushing it out.

I'd use the factory steel shim gaskets and the thickness can be dependant on your pistons and how much clearance you have to your valves as well as what compression you're after.

engine shows normal temp on gauge i think just under half. new thermostat engine water fine rad and engine been flushed etc when motor bottom end been fullly delt too with forge pistons rods bearings oil pump etc!

mayb my heater core has given up? coz after all its a 92? pulling it out will i be able to tell?

hmmm...

and thanks for your help too :+)

If your engine temp is showing up normal temp (and is staying at that temp) then there is quiet possibly a blockage in the heatercore. From memory its a prick to pull the actual heatercore out but a good way to check that it at least flows is to unhook the hoses where they go into the firewall and run some water through it from a garden hose. This way you should be able to figure out if its letting water through.