Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help to remove steering wheel and dash/vent surround BH Legacy

DK

Hi guys any one offer some advice on how to remove the steering wheel on a BH legacy its a momo airbag wheel, also the vent dash surround something is wrong with mine its all sticky and pisses me off wont to replace it.

Thanks.

steering wheel, very carefully lol, air bag unit itself will hav to be removed to get the steering wheel off.

as for the vent surround im not exactly sure, got one at work at the moment, il have a look tomorrow and get back to you, could be as simple as giving it a decent tug, thats always what i try first

Have not done a Legacy one but im sure the procedure is the same for all makes.

Disconnect the battery. Drain any residual current out of the car by standing on the brake pedal a few times and attempting to start car.

Remove the bolts/screws that secure the airbag to the wheel and place the airbag somewhere safe. Handle it with care as it is an explosive!!

Straighten the wheels and steering wheel. The steering wheel is on a tapered spline to the steering shaft so i like to mark its position with a dot punch or twink.

loosen but do not completely remove the bolt. You have to pull the wheel very hard sometimes to "break" the tapper and if you remove the bolt completely you will hit yourself in the face with the wheel and break your nose!!!

Reassemble in the reverse order. Once it is all back together reconnect the battery. Turn the ignition on through the open car window so your body is not in the way of the airbag.

Make sure the airbag light go's out after start up!

best way iv found to get a steering wheel off is to put your hands at "9 and 3" push one side while pulling the other, and vice verser, myt take a bit of effort, but no risk of smashing yaself in the face with the wheel, and i find it almost impossible to get the wheel off just by trying to pull it straight off

subieboy said:

Buy a gear puller / stearing wheel puller

Be the best $20 - $40 you ever spent... (I dont know how much they cost now but mine cost me that about 4 or 5 years ago)

Oh and leave the nut on while pulling it off...

sounds like someone had a bad experience ;):P hahaha

VADZTER']

[quote name='subieboy said:

Buy a gear puller / stearing wheel puller

Be the best $20 - $40 you ever spent... (I dont know how much they cost now but mine cost me that about 4 or 5 years ago)

b]Oh and leave the nut on while pulling it off...[/b]

sounds like someone had a bad experience ;):P hahaha

Watched people get sconned! ;D