Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

02 V7 WRX engine rebuild

Hey guys,

I spun a bearing in my WRX about a week ago so I'm in the middle of trying to fix it up and I'm look for a little help/advice.

I had a mechanical warranty so it's getting fixed at the Subaru Dealer here in Dunedin. I can source a brand new NZ new v7 STI short block which I'm keen on chucking in my car but the dealer isn't convinced it'll work. They told me that since it's an STI block and my heads are standard WRX ones, that the compression ratio will be low?? so performance will be worse than it was originally. Is that correct? (Both that it'll have low compression and worse performance?)

After speaking with some other companies about it, they said that with lower compression as long as the thinner of two OEM head gaskets is used it should be ok. That low compression wouldn't damage anything as long as otherwise its running ok. They also said that with an ECU reflash (recommended) that I would likely be better off performance wise than before.

Obviously a new short block is more preferable to me than a rebuild on my old block, and the fact it's an STI block... but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, what did you find? Is a thin gasket the one to use etc.

Hopefully someone can give help me out here. Not having a car is a pain in the butt, especially in the rain when I'd prefer not to ride my bike because I don't wanna stack it on our terrible roads. ;)

Done the exact thing on my old Wrx

Used v7 Sti short block and non Sti stock heads

Car runs mint been abt 4 years now and a lot of km

Been on various track days and pulling 224kw@w for 4 years approx

Belongs to another member here

Anyway it's a good idea what u plannin and can only say u won't be disappointed mate

The Sti block is way better by a long way

i got this from wiki, that both the sti and the non sti are 8:1

EJ205 is WRX

EJ207 is STI

EJ205

This engine series is used for non-Japanese marketed WRX models in the world market as of 1999. The Japanese WRX models use the EJ207 from 1999~2001, except the 5-door wagon which also uses the EJ205. After 2001, all WRXs use the EJ205, with an exception of the USDM models, which used the EJ205 until 2005. The EJ205 has a 8:1 compression ratio.

To identify an EJ205:

Coil on plug*

idle air integrated into throttle body

open deck block

Usage: Impreza WRX

99~01 (JDM Wagon Body only)

01~current (all JDM)including Forester Cross Sports and STI (9:1 compression ratio)

02~05 (USDM)

99~current (all other markets)

NOTE: The Australian Spec MY00 EJ205 does not have coil on plug but can be identified from the VIN of the vehicle (if known)where the 10th digit will be Y (for year 2000) and the 6th Digit will be 8 (for the 2000yr/EJ205)

[edit] EJ207

The EJ207 has a 8.0:1 compression ratio.

To identify an 9/99-9/2000 EJ207

Wasted spark coil pack off center of manifold

Inlet under manifold

Red intake manifold

Semi-closed deck block

Usage:

Impreza WRX STi 1998~present (JDM, specifically Homologation models for World Rally Championship)