• Raised $0.00

1998 wagon help plus mods

gf8suby

hey guys i have a 1998 wrx wagon.

mods

blitz nur spec exhaust

hks bov

and mags

now when i approach boost in second it gets a little bumpy, any idea why?

it seems to b running standard boost as the turbo isnt outrageously powerful.

what mods shall i do next to increase performance but also keep it a reliable car?

Thanks guys.

How long has this been happening?

Try Reset your ECU. :)

Undo the Negative terminal on your battery, pump the brakes a few times, or hold it in...for a good 15 seconds. Reconect the terminal, pump the brakes. Then start 'er up.

Go for a drive, Should be sweet :D Let us know how that goes.

It could be knackered spark plugs. I had similar sturring probs, and that was the cause. New plugs and she was sweet!

As far as mods go - go easy on it. I've just learnt the expensive way that you can't push a standard motor too much.

if it was spark plugs shouldnt it happen in every gear??. and disruptz, i have just bought the car last week and its been happening since then soo i have no clue at all! i will try ur suggestion tho. cheers. i could have almost thought it was the blow off valve but i cnt b sure.

As for mods to keep it reliable i'd do the ECU first, with a retune by someone who knows what they're doing you'll get a nice power increase safely.

Probably not the cheapest option out there. Its the 1st thing i did years ago now and the car has run perfect ever since (with retunes whenever to accomadate further mods)

i got a 98 wrx wagon and mines making a surging feeling in 2nd gear at around 50kph and its either the o2 sensor playing up again or its the spark plugs.

I'd suggest unplugging the o2 sensor which is down by your turbo then take it for a drive if it still does it i'd look at eh spark plugs.

DMSREX said:

As for mods to keep it reliable i'd do the ECU first, with a retune by someone who knows what they're doing you'll get a nice power increase safely.

Probably not the cheapest option out there. Its the 1st thing i did years ago now and the car has run perfect ever since (with retunes whenever to accomadate further mods)

I'd agree with this, my car is runnning 20psi and has been for the last year with no issues, but I have all the supporting mods (ecu, downpipe, exhuast, IC, induction kit ) etc, etc and its been re-tuned for 98 ron only. Car has been running sweet (engine has anyway) since day 1 of ownership.

russ

ballsrburning']

[quote name='DMSREX said:

/quote]

I'd agree with this, my car is runnning 20psi and has been for the last year with no issues, but I have all the supporting mods (ecu, downpipe, exhuast, IC, induction kit ) etc, etc and its been re-tuned for 98 ron only. Car has been running sweet (engine has anyway) since day 1 of ownership.

russ

yours is an sti though so 20psi even though that's high i've heard i higher but as his is just a wrx i'd suggest not going over 14.7psi or 15psi as you might melt something internal.

As for mod's i upgraded my turbo from a td04 to a vf22 on my wagon this was by far the best bang for my buck i was just lucky i had all the supporting mods to do it, e.g yellow top injectors and a 90mm afm from factory being a nz new.

i have no idea what down pipe it has. all i know full blitz nur spec system? sorry im not that mechanically minded (as much as i wish i am). ok atm the spark plugs and coil packs are being checked and if that dsnt fix it, ill check o2 sensor. back to the mods, ok so im thinking ecu first. then build up from there with mods that will support a bigger turbo in the future. and also do front mounts make much difference. ive heard that they make very little??

gf8suby said:

i have no idea what down pipe it has. all i know full blitz nur spec system? sorry im not that mechanically minded (as much as i wish i am). ok atm the spark plugs and coil packs are being checked and if that dsnt fix it, ill check o2 sensor. back to the mods, ok so im thinking ecu first. then build up from there with mods that will support a bigger turbo in the future. and also do front mounts make much difference. ive heard that they make very little??

Everyone will tell you something deifferent when it comes to front mounts lol i will probly end up doing one as i forsee alot of track work. where about are you located?

ADR']

[quote name='loud_As said:

Everyone will tell you something deifferent when it comes to front mounts lol i will probly end up doing one as i forsee alot of track work. where about are you located?

/quote]

You sure this wagon is up to the task ? Your WRX was quicky out driven by your Orsuma powa last time :P

What are you trying to say ... :P

yer mate will make a difference how much of a difference is the debatable bit you have the exhaust done sweet air filter ??? if so i think the combination of the three will work well because you can get more air in , more air out and therefore you want to be cooling that air quicker = front mount

IMHO 3 inch exhaust is too big for a road driven car, and in many cases too big for a club car.

You need a SERIOUSLY big turbo flowing lots to even need it. And then your only going to notice an increase at the top end. You will also loose alot in the bottom end power and torque.

Ask any good performance exhaust builders and they will say the same.

There was very little power gain when I installed the frontmount, 208kw to 210 kw I believe, I just liked the look of having the IC in the front in view, it's a more aggressive look. :)

ballsrburning said:

There was very little power gain when I installed the front mount, 208kw to 210 kw I believe, I just liked the look of having the IC in the front in view, it's a more aggressive look. :)

+1 on the aggressive look but i'm only going to do it if i can flip the manifold as well.

shorter piping and it looks cooler.

Davebro said:

IMHO 3 inch exhaust is too big for a road driven car, and in many cases too big for a club car.

You need a SERIOUSLY big turbo flowing lots to even need it. And then your only going to notice an increase at the top end. You will also loose alot in the bottom end power and torque.

Ask any good performance exhaust builders and they will say the same.

hear what your saying i had a 3inch down pipe to a two and a half was VERY torque

it hesitates every time in second gear at 3000 to 3500 rpm. if i boosted through first and into second it wont hesitate. no engine lights no nothing. its also a tiny bit noticeable in third asweel. i still think it could be a bov issue coz every time it hesitates its making a massive sucking noise so makes me think its a leak of some sort. the air con is also making a noise aswell, a leak?