Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

will a pod filter destroy my AFM?

Jonnysnow

+1

Never run without an air filter - there is to nothing to gain but a stuffed engine over time.

The test was done to see if the stock airbox was a restriction and any gains could be made by changing it to something else.

There were no gains even with no filter or airbox - so proved the stock airbox is not holding back power.

Qwerty said:

The test was done to see if the stock airbox was a restriction and any gains could be made by changing it to something else.

There were no gains even with no filter or airbox - so proved the stock airbox is not holding back power.

On that note though i found it was nessessary to change to a pod when i installed my front mount, as the piping didnt leave enough room for the box.

wrx_lou']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

/quote]

On that note though i found it was nessessary to change to a pod when i installed my front mount, as the piping didnt leave enough room for the box.

on a wrx i take it??? aparently its ok to run a pod on single turbo??? hmmm need to see wat the aussies run on their b4s cuz heaps of them run frount mounts on them (still in tt format)

well when i first got my car the AFM packed out. got replaced through warrenty and the guy said as a passing comment that he gets alot of rexs through needing new AFM due to the oil film caused by those pod filters. In saying that though, i ran my car for the better part of 18 months with with a poddy and had no troubles.

A pod filter on a TT or a single turbo setup is going to have no differing effect on the AFM. It'll still vibrate and kill the AFM if you don't brace it. Also if you guys read up K&N's website, they will claim that they have done lots of testing and found that excess oil on the AFM will not effect its longevity or performance. (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm)

Also the belief that the oil from a POD filter is bad yet an oiled K&N filter in the factory airbox is ok seems a little misguided to me.

A bit of info that one of the guys found out recently from our flowbench tech guy. He said that mildly dirty K&N filters actually flow more than freshly cleaned ones. He runs a car at the local speedway and only cleans his filter once every 6 events. Have heard similar evidence from rally guys aswell.

(May not be applicable here)....but he also flow tested a standard EVO 8 filter and a replacement K&N filter for the same car. Had ~5% improvement in flow using the K&N. Haven't seen back to back tests on Subaru panel filters though. And whether this extra flow potential actually leads to more power would need to be tested in the particular application on a dyno (as Qwerty mentioned). As we're dealing with a restricted rally car, every bit less flow restriction could mean another hp or two ;D

But as previously stated f you do put in a POD filter, it needs a cold air box, without it, its not going to be very beneficial at all (probably detremental).

ah ok, im not wanted a pod for performance, the intercooler piping comes down under the afm, but with the factory airbox there isnt enough room for the piping to come through, and suggestions as to how i could get the piping through without taking out the factory airbox?

Maybe go down beside dumppipe? dunno if it would fit...prolly would make intercooler pipework longer too, Just a surgestion, also i have never had any probs with my airflow meters if they are secured properly, usualy a 10x2mm strip of steel bent in the right places.

AFM regardless, a pod filter isn't always a good thing if you neglect the cold air box. Most of the time a stock intake with decent insulation can outdo a pod that's taking in hot air.

Yes but like im saying, im only going to go to a pod if i have to, if i cant get intercooler piping to get around the factory airbox, will have to purchase the kit i guess and have a play around.

• 2 weeks later...
 Jonnysnow said:

i have the standard K&N filter on there, like this one on a 1997 GTB limited

92825610.jpg

is this the oiled type you mentioned above? think it vibrates slightly tho sometimes makes a weird resonance type sound at certin rpm.

am leaning towards reverting to stock after reading these posts, but i love the sound.

dammit

I know the exact sound. It at like 6000 rpm right? Its like a short compressor surge sound, sounds great.

My BH has run smoother since i put the intake in.

I just put in a Simota panel filter on mine which isnt oiled and seems to go well.

been told that oiled filters can cause problems with AFM as mentioned.