Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What is my Stereo?

webup

You've got a factory Kenwood headunit by the looks of it (35w RMS x4, if it's the same as the identical one I have here on my floor), and a Clarion (AddZest) Nav/TV System hooked into it as well (these are pretty common in Imports out of Japan).

They're actually in the After Sales catalogs from Subaru Japan as upgrades, along with Subaru branded Roof racks and the likes... so they can technically be classified as a "Genuine Accessory".

As for speakers, I *think* you'll find 6" in the front and 6.5" in the rear (someone who's pulled apart a BH more recently can confirm/deny this for me), with your two door tweeters up the front... the factory head unit has the crossover circuitry for the tweeters built in so if you want to take advantage of them with an aftermarket head unit you'll need to buy some standalone crossovers for them too to wire them up.

If you're lucky and have the optional subwoofer as well, you'll find under the right side trim panels in the boot there will be a 8" sub with a 30w amp attached to it, not many people have these though...

You should be able to upgrade your headunit no problems, as for the roof antennas, they may or may not work, I haven't done it myself personally but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to hack up the wiring / plugs to make it work, the Picture standard in Japan is different (NTSC as Opposed to PAL) but the Frequencies that it's transmitted on are in the same range, so the Antenna's should be able to pick the signals up without issue.

the roof tv antenneas work a treat I use one of these on the tv/dvd/cd player in my landcruiser

most of these have dual 3.5mm plugs per aerial thus u should have 4 which may plug into a box with 2 outputs to the rear of the unit....

jake_the_muss said:

cool. i only have the macintosh one. :(

Wow... I was pissed off I only had the Kenwood System in my Legacy and not the McIntosh, you make it sound like you wish you didn't have the high grade system you have!

I have this in my 98bhIMG_0088.jpg?t=1243676597

looks kinda similar to your setup, also have a clarion tv tuner under the drivers seat,IMG_0127.jpg?t=1243676725

I hope to replace the head unit and keep the screen, which shows the aircon display. The TV picks up C4 and TV3. Unfortunatly the on screen menu is not english so dont really no how to re-tune it.

Guest keltik

I got the TV tuner and the mcintosh sound system, goes hard :P

Those kenwood ones didnt impress me so much. Im pretty sure the speakers are different too between the 2 options. Should be 6inch cones front and rear

• 2 weeks later...

Random question webup... but where did you get your cellphone holder for your N95?... I'm trying to find one for my 5800 XpressMusic... and that one looks slick.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a late post but just to clarify some points for future reference as I have noticed a few errors in the above posts.

The top post shows a factory stereo made by Clarion (as is the satnav); these are actually pretty good units. Clarion also make the McIntosh units and the two are quite similar internally. The Kenwood head units used in the BH are silver and are not at all compatible with the Clarion/AddZest accessories.

That Clarion model is also compatible with my aux input hack.

The Clarion stereo uses 4 ohm paper dual-cone speakers with moulded baskets that are a pain to properly replace. I usually hack the guts out of the speakers and carefully mount new ones into whats left of the frame with a foam gasket to seal it all nicely.

The McIntosh setup uses 8 ohm mica-filled polypropylene coaxial speakers that feature separate door mouldings so are much easier to replace (you can fit new speakers into the mouldings very easily).

In both cases I think the front speakers are 6.5" and the rears are 6". The McIntosh ones are actually half decent speakers IMHO.

Most of the bass comes from the front speakers though this appears to be more to do with the acoustics of the interior than the speakers themselves.

The door sail tweeters have a high-pass capacitor built-in so you do not need to play with the wiring or add crossovers if you swap out the head unit and want to keep using them.

Only the McIntosh setup has a factory sub; it's a 4 ohm 6x9" driver in the boot. It shares the same power amp as all of the door speakers. The amp has five identical chips inside; using 8 ohm door speakers with a 4 ohm sub helps to balance the levels of each speaker while keeping the amp design consistent, therefore saving money during manufacture.

I spent the good part of a weekend swapping out the same Clarion unit you show with the complete McIntosh system. Fortunately Subaru still provide the wiring point and fuse for the power amp even if it's not fitted which really helps!