Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sad engine diagnosis

Ben

Another update;

Split down most of block. Have not dismantled head components yet.

Some munched parts here. Hoping my crank is ok and I can still use my Conrod with the bearing rubbing on it. Pistons appear fine and nothing suggests a answer to my 0.00% compression issue - Bit of a coincidence that the cylinder with no compression was also the one that ran a bearing?

Can someone tell me if this is the right block in my car ? V5 STI. Trying to distinguish if it is original to the car or not.

The position of the thrust bearing on the fifth main housing suggests the block is newer than 98, as pre 98 had the thrust bearing on the third main bearing housing. I hope this is correct?

fr_111.jpg

fr_129_size880.jpg

fr_124_size880.jpg

fr_128_size880.jpg

fr_121_size880.jpg

fr_123_size880.jpg

fr_118_size880.jpg

fr_119_size880.jpg

Stripping is the easy part Ross\' =). Just to confirm I have never done anything like this before. to make it a bit easier I have about 40 bags of parts labeled with locations on them haha. Just couldn\'t bring myself to fork out some major coin for a professional.

2 of my rods are pretty buggered so these will need replaced. Unsure if I will go to the wreckers or buy new.

Going to get my heads tested like you said early next week. Unsure what I need to do as far as the block is concerned. I suppose I should get my crank checked and ground if needed. Im thinking by the time I pay for my block to be checked, grind my crank, plain the head if needed, replace bearings, replace 2 rods . . . Do i just go and buy another block or even a V7 STI block / Chuck my heads on once they are given the green light and away I go?

Ben said:

Stripping is the easy part Ross\' =). Just to confirm I have never done anything like this before. to make it a bit easier I have about 40 bags of parts labeled with locations on them haha. Just couldn\'t bring myself to fork out some major coin for a professional.

2 of my rods are pretty buggered so these will need replaced. Unsure if I will go to the wreckers or buy new.

Going to get my heads tested like you said early next week. Unsure what I need to do as far as the block is concerned. I suppose I should get my crank checked and ground if needed. Im thinking by the time I pay for my block to be checked, grind my crank, plain the head if needed, replace bearings, replace 2 rods . . . Do i just go and buy another block or even a V7 STI block / Chuck my heads on once they are given the green light and away I go?

Good on ya for getting in there ;D What number is stamped on your heads?

Definitely a Short Block, as apposed to machining/sourcing yourself. PM fssub1 about a Reconditioned Short Block. (V7 STI) ;)

Will look and report back regarding head stamp.

Would I be better buying a reconditioned short block and trusting someone else\'s work or buying my own and replacing components?

I know I can get a v7 sti short lock as is for 750 unsure condition.

F f s sub currently has no v7 sti blocks =\ only a v5 sti

Thanks again for your input

Thats what I was thinking. Because I\'m not going for super power I was thinking for the block;

1. Get block checked

2. Check crank and grind.

3. Fit new bearings.

4. Replace piston rings.

5. Replace 2 x conrods.

6. Refit all together.

Surely the same end result and at a much cheaper rate than say buying a reconditioned V5 STI block for $800-1000?