Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best Turbo Swap For BG5 2nd Gen Legacy

steve118

before i start, yes, i have used the search function. But i have only really found very mixed opinions, vf25/27 or vf32/33

i am after an all round power increase, but mainly high end for the secondary, obviously!!

any info is good info, but im currently leaning towards vf25 primary and vf27 secondary.

Also, best place in auckland for turbo swaps? Im thinking highbrook automotive?

Thanks Guys For Any Input

edit: i currently have vf18/19

26 and 27 apparently has ultimately highest flow potential, we\'re talking like 10-20p between that and the later ones tho

32 and 33 are slightly smaller but meant to wake up a touch faster?

For the cost people ask for 32 and 33 the earlier ones by far would be my pick, very cheap to acquire. I really liked the bastard vf26/7 I made, came on boost like a diesel and was really nice, you could put that together pretty easy then bolt it in? (Just a vf27 core in a vf26 housing, identical wheels but ball bearing cartridge in the vf27)

Stating the obvious is if youre paying someone for labour just swap to single or save till you can. This is the sort of thing where the gains (in my eyes) arent enough to justify the cost of doing the swap. If you were diying then go for it but I imagine its a few hours of labour $$?

If you do go ahead just dont get vf25, thats the auto model which has the smaller exhaust housing

JoKer said:

somethign about the inlet sizes make my head hurt, one or the other pair dont match your BG hoses etc

munkvy knows about it

I haev a weird 22/27 mix on my BG-GTB (or 26/32 whatever) goes hard

what year is your bg joker? would be cool if you had some parts laying around i could take off your hands ;) mines a bg5 1997 gt

JoKer said:

never

major pros and cons? wouldnt it be nice to have two equal turbos running at the same time? creating some crazy back to the future shizzle

found this online: less exhaust gas available to each turbo, a smaller turbo must be used to maintain quick response, and the cost for this response, is limited high end power delivery and boost potential.

so maybe single is the only way... hmmmm ??? ??? ???

• General Member

I run with the theory that if its good/supposed to work they would do it OEM

also the old adage "the more complicated something is, the more there is to go wrong"

that and it was my primary car up until bout 2012, and I counted afford to wreck it

now I don\'t really care about it LOL

JoKer said:

I run with the theory that if its good/supposed to work they would do it OEM

also the old adage "the more complicated something is, the more there is to go wrong"

that and it was my primary car up until bout 2012, and I counted afford to wreck it

now I don\'t really care about it LOL

so from that i have configured this:

one turbo, one problem.

two turbos, two problems.

quite an advanced theorem but my best guess is single conversion now?

Rosssub said:

Are the VF32/VF33 the same Journal/Ball Bearing as VF26/VF27?

VF26 Primary (Journal) Inlet is 46.5mm, VF27 Secondary (Ball Bearing) is 46.5mm.

VF33 Primary (Journal) Inlet is 65.5mm, VF32 Secondary (Journal) is 46.5mm

Primary VF33 (46.5/35.4mm 9-blade turbine wheel and a 47.0mm/35.4mm 6 + 6 blade compressor) and Secondary VF32 (exhaust side it uses a 46.5/35.4mm 9-blade turbine wheel, teamed with a 52.5/36.6mm 10-blade compressor wheel).

I was currently running VF26/VF27, planning to do Marky\'s Primary Upgrade on my VF26 (VF27 CHRA into VF26 Housing, making it Ball Bearing/Faster Spool).

Clubsub VF32 $145:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,41785.0.html

Strong for Subaru VF32 $250:

http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/products/turbo-charger-vf32-legacy-2002

Strong for Subaru VF33 $740:

http://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/products/turbo-charger-vf33-legacy-2002

Trademe VF26 $150: These don\'t come up that often.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-696488968.htm

Trademe VF27 $185: Common, I\'ve brought 2 good ones at $150.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=694771337

telemekas said:

The VF25/26/33 are journal/sleeve bearing turbos.

All the other TT turbos VF13/14/16/17/18/19/20/21/27/31/32 are ball bearing (twin ball bearing races)

Top flow turbo combinations VF26/27 and PE1016F/1018F (VF31 with P16 turbine/VF32)

I wasn\'t too far off ;) Thanks Telemekas.

Edit: I got the VF33/32 info from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine