Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Weird overheating problem!

My car is doing some really weird shit at the moment.

The radiator fans are running non-stop, the temperature gauge in the car reckons it's overheating insanely, the AC pumps out NOTHING but cold air and when I touch the radiator after use it's cold and the engine block is only warm. I shouldn't be able to touch it after use!

Does anyone have any ideas?!?

Guest boostin
 DRFVDR said:

temp sensor poked :)

Maybe. What model is it? Temp sensors for ECU and gauge are separate on early models.

Guest boostin

Its on the engine side of the bottom rad hose. Put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. It should have a number on the thermostat like 78 or 82. Thats the temp in degrees celcius that the thermostat opens. If it doesn't open its stuffed.

boostin said:

Its on the engine side of the bottom rad hose. Put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. It should have a number on the thermostat like 78 or 82. Thats the temp in degrees celcius that the thermostat opens. If it doesn't open its stuffed.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the car running for sometime and then feel the bottom radiator hose; cold = thermostat not opening.

Guest boostin

Yeah but I'm trying to determine whether or not the thermostat itself is at fault or just not enough flow to it.

MATE i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, i took it to Subie mechanics and they said its weird for this version subie to do this, i now have a blown head gasket because of this problem

Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that rust everywhere and water pissing out of the bottom of the engine is probably not a good sign... :(

Car's done nearly 200,000, cambelt needs doing and now there's this problem. I think it's rebuilt time. What do you all reckon?

insanity007 said:

Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that rust everywhere and water pissing out of the bottom of the engine is probably not a good sign... :(

Car's done nearly 200,000, cambelt needs doing and now there's this problem. I think it's rebuilt time. What do you all reckon?

well i also have water disappearing but no rust anywhere, but i now have white on my dipstick so gasket gone, i suggest you dont keep driving it around

iratev7']

[quote name='insanity007 said:

/quote]

well i also have water disappearing but no rust anywhere, but i now have white on my dipstick so gasket gone, i suggest you dont keep driving it around

My mate reckons it's my heater core. My oil is flawless. I only changed it about 500kms ago and it's still sweet.

insanity007']

[quote name='insanity007 said:

/quote]

My mate reckons it's my heater core. My oil is flawless. I only changed it about 500kms ago and it's still sweet.

i changed my heater core because i thought that was the problem, it fixed it for a while but still the same problem again heater core cost me 110 from waiuku car spears