Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aux input for factory Clarion and McIntosh stereos

avgeek

EDIT: Moved pictures to Picasa

This mod gives you a proper aux input on any Clarion or McIntosh head unit factory installed in a BE or BH Legacy. This is perfect for connecting your iPod, iPhone, laptop, other MP3 player, etc. Do not buy an FM transmitter or modulator until you have tried this first!

I've successfully tested this with several models of Clarion and McIntosh stereo. If you stereo has both a square and round DIN connector on the back and is made by Clarion (including the McIntosh units) this should work. If you have an older stereo such as one from a BD or BG Legacy that only has the round CD stacker connector this mod will not work!

Stuff you will need:

• 13 pin DIN plug
  • 3.5mm stereo plug or similar
  • Small toggle switch or latching push button
  • 1k resistor
  • Screened audio cable
  • Soldering iron and solder

The easiest way to get the 13 pin DIN plug is to cut up an old CD stacker cable. Alternatively, try TradeTech part PLG58 or Elekon part K31651.

You could use any connector you like in place of the 3.5mm plug, for example RCA jacks.

Procedure

Simply wire it up as per the diagram below. I've drawn this assuming you are facing the solder side of the plug. If using a 3.5mm plug remember that the tip is usually the left channel.

mcintosh_aux_input.png

Once done, plug it into the appropriate port on the back of your head unit (yes you will need to remove it first; see this page for details). Plug in your MP3 player or whatever and flick the aux switch on. The head unit should display ACCS and you should hear the sound from the player.

front_panel_accs.jpg

Note that you will not be able to change to the radio or CD player, or switch the head unit off while it is in accessory mode so you might want to mount the aux switch on the dash for easy access.

I ran the input cable out beside the ash tray as there is a gap big enough for the cable to pass through without snagging or me needing to drill holes. The iPod sits in the nice rubberised tray while driving.

ipod_tray.jpg

That lead is exactly the same as the diagram I posted. It comes with a toggle switch in a little plastic box with some double sided tape so you can stick it on the dash or whatever.

Just depends whether you can be bothered making the lead or want to pay someone else to do it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keltik

Nope. Have also just confirmed that my McIntosh headunit with the minidisc instead of tape deck does NOT have the round din connector

keltik said:

Nope. Have also just confirmed that my McIntosh headunit with the minidisc instead of tape deck does NOT have the round din connector

Oh really? Damn. Mine has the minidisc player too.

keltik said:

Yeah gotta buy or craft the more expensive CeNet square shaped plug adaptor

AFAIK the square one requires a bit more hackery as you need to communicate via CeNet; looking at the guts of the unit it doesn't seem to have the aux input on that port.

It might be possible to fudge something up using a PIC but it would require quite a bit of electronics knowledge, plus lots of time and coffee.

At this stage I'd be buying the commercial one or replacing the head unit with a tape one; they go quite cheap on TradeMe and such.

• 2 weeks later...
 nickmcgill said:

You can also get these cables on trademe for around $20.

Changed my life buying one.

put up a link to help out the guys if there still interested, shall be handy

-smurff

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the radio-waves.co.nz cable, which plugs in fine.

iPod charges, but when I turn the car on I get "SYSTEM" flashing, and have to turn the headunit ON before I can use FM/CD/MD. No sign of ACCS/AUX etc.

There's no switches on this cable.

Any ideas ?

Headunit Model: PF-40251-A

Sorry folks, the EA1271 is not compatible with Subaru head units. You need the EA1251 or EA1251B.

I know because have I just bought both and found out the hard way! :)

They are discontinued but sometimes show up cheap on TradeMe and Ebay. Don't pay any more than NZ$100 or you are being ripped off.

keltik said:

Your using the wrong cable. I believe the Subaru head units require this http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2009/multimedia/ipod/EA1276/au-en-product-pf_1172419833480.html . I tried using a straight ipod to CeNet cable in my car and i got the same problem as you

Received an email from the radio-waves.co.nz guy:

Hi Drew

This aftermarket unit sometimes has a few glitches like SYSTEM flashing but it is a minor inconvenience to obtain true digital sound from your iPod.

By pressing the CD button twice you will find it will now allow you to hear your iPod music in glorious stereo. (it tricks the radio into thinking there is a CD changer attached)

Regards

Ian.

Alas, doesn't work still. I've seen mention that it's not compatible with my iPod Touch, but not on the site I purchased it from which says it works. *sigh*