Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help buying an Impreza

Hello All,

Can someone who owns or has owned 2002 - 2006 Impreza IS (sport or std) model tell me the following?

2WD vs 4WD - Is there a notable change in performance?

Manual vs auto performance differences?

How economical is the 1.5 model?

Also what does a cambelt change cost?

I test drove a 1500 IS Hatch in the weekend and I found it very sluggish. I am not looking for a fast car just something that has good acceleration for around town, intersections passing the odd car and general driving. It will seldom be taken out of town.

I have always loved the look of the Imprezas and the performance of the top-end models are hard to go past so I am hoping the lower spec models are just as solid.

Cheers

Guest Bjcnz

1.5 is slooowwww. I've owned a 1.6 impreza cz (all wheel drive) and it was sllooowww. If you're dead set on getting one, get the 2wd, at least you'll have a bit more power for around town. But if I were you, I'd look for a 2.0 litre one, my dad has the 07 2.0 litre impreza, and it goes nicely and is economical

TBH go for the 2.0L SOHC. They are bloody economical when you're not a tard like me and modify the living daylights out of the poor thing. The 1.6 is a little nippy (driven one, liked it), the 1.5 is abysmal. 1.8 is also sadsack, give it a miss.

2.0 quad cam (EJ20D??) is the mightiest out of the lot unless you go for the much-maligned 2.5 (would you like some headgaskets with that blown?), but the SOHC is strong enough and more economical IMO.

Cambelt on the ol' 20E is far easier to change and I imagine somewhat cheaper than the $400 JUST FOR PARTS for the quads.

Go for the AWD manual. The manual is more responsive and more economical...more fun to drive. And there's no real point in a FWD Subaru - though the 2.0L doesn't have the option.

IMO try the 2.0R or 2.0i, Gx or suchlike from the GDB era... alternatively, if you want bang for buck go for the SRX. Skip the HX20s (yes I own one, shush CS) - it takes a bit to make them destroy tarmac and the economy goes out the door. The SRX pulls a high 15-second quarter with 155hp, and apparently gets 8L/100km. They are freakin fun cars to drive.

I've wanted to give one a yank too ;D I've only had a blast in the lower-spec ones.

Also - Mr_dang you in Auckland? You can have a strop in my car if you want. It's not stock, but engine-wise it's close. (Pod and fart can in a nutshell, and a sh!tload of suspension et al)

Thanks all for the great feedback, I am based in Welly otherwise I would have taken you up on the offer Shale.

SOHC aye? Sweet I will look out for one.

What is a good year - I am looking around the 02-06 market?

You said 1.6 - what year did they go to? Only I have not seen them around?

SRX 2.0l SOHC impreza - cool, off to do some searching cheers.

Guest Bjcnz
 Mr_dang said:

Thanks all for the great feedback, I am based in Welly otherwise I would have taken you up on the offer Shale.

SOHC aye? Sweet I will look out for one.

What is a good year - I am looking around the 02-06 market?

You said 1.6 - what year did they go to? Only I have not seen them around?

SRX 2.0l SOHC impreza - cool, off to do some searching cheers.

Not too sure what year the 1.6 went, but I had a 1996 Impreza that was a 1.6, I'm fairly certain it went out not long after then

Yeah - I am really looking for 2002 to 2006 models - can you get a SOHC 02 -06?

I have seen this - what do peps reckon

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/View/Used/SUBARU-IMPREZA-2006/429287.aspx

No pics sorry - but this is the sort of vintage I am looking at?

Here is a pic of a similar car http://www.autotrader.co.nz/View/Used/SUBARU-IMPREZA-2006/429309.aspx

I know it is auto but it seems to be the norm these days when you have a family to consider.

How do you reckon this will go?

Mr_dang: the '00-'07 are all the GDB shell. IIRC the newest ones have an i on their model designation if a SOHC, and an R if DOHC (feel free to correct, gurus).

The 1.6, 1.8 Imprezas are GC8s...made up to '00.

The vintage you are looking at are the '06+ Imprezas through to early '08. Before that are the version 8 and 9 (much of a muchness in non-STi); early '02 to '05. Before then are the bugeyes, '00 up. The GC8, same as my car, runs from '92 to '00. (YES, they did come as early as '92. They were butt-ugly then.)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-226442220.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-232131168.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-222927065.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-218630619.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-217614228.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-221215878.htm

That's an example of IMO the best kind of non-turbo Imprezas in the GDB chassis... 2.0L or up. That'll give you some models to search by...

...but still, I reckon the following fullas are best for back-for-buck, economy, fun-factor, you name it..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-131056300.htm

If you're not looking for a GC8 it's all good, but if you'll consider them...you won't regret it :)

Ahh, this is all starting to make sense those bloody 1.5s are thanks to Japan. Right looks like I need to go the 2l rout - OK lets talk fuel economy.

in the 02 - 06 models which engine/model is considered economical

Much of a muchness, probably SRX best of the lot.

I get 10L/100km at the moment on my 2.0L SOHC, but it has a 2.5" exhaust, a pod filter and a particularly aggressive ver3 ECU that backfires like I feed it curries day in day out ;)

Assumedly you can get between 8L/100km when you take it easy, and 10L/100km if you drive like you stole it. Not entirely sure of the differences between SOHC and DOHC when it comes down to absolute fuel economy, especially in the GDB - which are significantly heavier than the GC8.

IMO you need to test drive yourself an SRX and a 2.0R. They are as close to an equivalent as you'll get, across the model years ;) You'll probably find one a little more fun than the other, but both are much of a muchness.

Between the 1.5L and 2.0L I'm willing to bet that they won't be too far apart in terms of economy. The chassis begs to be used for what it was built (ie: it is a rally car chassis), but the little 1.5L is going to pop a vein in its forehead if you try. The 2.0L will be lazier about it, and keener to perform - less strained. That said, it will naturally be a tad thirstier.

If you're talking about a family... you are potentially lugging around what, 3+ people in a 1300kg+ car. Not enough torque in those eeny weeny engines for it IMO. My 2.0L however still does the job with 5 adults in the car. Yup...I abuse my poor Impreza :-\

If you do a fair bit of open road cruising, cross-country...give the 2.5RS a test drive. Moar torque ftw :)