Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ej20 or ej25???

Still stuck between a 2L or 2.5L. I have both blocks but still deciding what i want to do. Im asking for your recommendations on what i should build. (Pros an cons). Its for my weeknd car with the odd track an drag days wanting around 400kw atw 30psi MAX!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

At that boost level I would close deck them, you can get it done if you know where to go. There's a ej25 on trade me cdb using cnc insert. I would use arp 625 bolts at least, fully forged, which parts you use is best done with your own research. 

Personally I went ej20 route and not  ej25 just for the nature of the block. You can make that power on both blocks and ez30 have their own problems. Every uk motor builder I spoke to, RCM, AS performance etc didn't recommend destroking the ej25. 

Edited by Username

8 minutes ago, Username said:

At that boost level I would close deck them, you can get it done if you know where to go. There's a ej25 on trade me cdb using cnc insert. I would use arp 625 bolts at least, fully forged, which parts you use is best done with your own research. 

Personally I went ej20 route and not  ej25 just for the nature of the block. You can make that power on both blocks and ez30 have their own problems. Every uk motor builder I spoke to, RCM, AS performance etc didn't recommend destroking the ej25. 

Plenty of destrokers turning big numbers in the UK.

Pretty sure the toaster in oz runs a destroker with a 3076 and 100 shot of nos to run 10's. 

3 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Plenty of destrokers turning big numbers in the UK.

Pretty sure the toaster in oz runs a destroker with a 3076 and 100 shot of nos to run 10's. 

No doubt there are and there's nothing wrong with them for making power. But when both gobstoppers run modified 2L blocks from a company that could build anything they wanted, you have to ask why. 

Personally I would stick to ej20 but everyone has their own opinion and preferances, both blocks will do what you want with enough money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Username said:

No doubt there are and there's nothing wrong with them for making power. But when both gobstoppers run modified 2L blocks from a company that could build anything they wanted, you have to ask why. 

Personally I would stick to ej20 but everyone has their own opinion and preferances, both blocks will do what you want with enough money. 

I would guess that afp could run whatever engine he wanted to judging by the $$$ on this last build but he didn't use a 2l block...could be any reason for using their flavour of choice but can only speculate they have spent a massive amount on r&d on that particular base.

Correct tho any block will make 400wkw with money thrown at it. I don't think the gobstopper type goal is within the scope of this thread.

Displacement gives drivability theres no denying that so if its going to used on road it makes sense to go minimum 2.35 to give the added rpm. 2.1 is a drop in the bucket.

Yeah both my 2.5 an 2L blocks are cnc closed deck. I was told about de stroking but was also told its more complicated than it sounds. Id rather just put parts that are either made fr 2L or 2.5 to be installed

Whats your reasons for wanting to stick with a 2L?

There's nothing complicated about a destroker it still has pistons, rods and crank no black magic onvolved. Same as a 2 or 2.5 you just buy the correct parts.
Ok so its straight off the shelf. No special sizes,lengths etc etc?

5 hours ago, StrokedEJ said:

Yeah both my 2.5 an 2L blocks are cnc closed deck. I was told about de stroking but was also told its more complicated than it sounds. Id rather just put parts that are either made fr 2L or 2.5 to be installed

Whats your reasons for wanting to stick with a 2L?

As evowrx says it's not that hard, use 2l crank with normal rods but specific Pistons for this setup in 2.5 block, this limits your options to which brand you use,  same for stroking 2l using 2.5l crank, to give 2.135 I believe, depending on oversize Pistons used. All major websites will stock the type you need but not all brands will do them or there will be delays in getting them. 

I have only only ever used 2l was going to stroke it using 2.5 crank etc but meant I had to change a lot more stuff to do this. The cnc inserted ej20 is stronger from my research with regards to  less cylinder cracks seen when running higher boost. Even outfront motorsports engines have reported cylinder wall crack at top on ej25 block when running the insert, due to the block having more flex, though the newer design is better. Personally I prefer the driving characteristics of the ej20 over the ej25 on track. All the guys I know racing subis here prefer to use the ej20. 

I have enough support to build the ej20 to get where I want to get too ( stud conversion, cdb with insert, Doweled etc) , so I prefer this choice. If budget is an issue then  bigger displacement would be better and just build the ej25 block. Displacement is not always the answer though as proven by the destroked mental Evo below.

I'm only guessing here but pretty sure the goal is more drags than time attack and extended long gear after gear pulls in a closed road environment with no corners.

The 3582 .82 would get you there and surely would make life easier being the setup is built for it?

Interesting that evo was destroyed rather than using a 4g93 block. Don't think it gets driven to the beach on the weekend either so off boost performance isnt terribly important. Makes real power at 9-13k or something? 

Race engineering stock options on the destroker pistons.