Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Strange rear tyre wear

Have been looking at a 92 Legacy VZ type R, but have noticed the rear suspension seems to look lower than the front. How can I tell if this model had the airbag pneumatic suspension?

Also have noticed the rear tyres have worn pretty heavy on the inside. Could this just be an alignment issue or something worn out? Some play was present when rocking the rear wheels.

Any help much appreciated ;D

Probably due to the back end being lower, Causes camber wear. I think only the GT wagon got air suspension, not entirely sure tho. Have a look under the wheel-arch and see if the springs have been obviously cut or changed.

The guy who's selling it hasn't done any work on the suspension and is the first NZ owner. So maybe it happened before it was imported. I wonder if the camber will be adjustable to compensate for it or if it'll be beyond the limits.

Just looked at a Legacy Grand Wagon. All seemed too good, So did a AA Lemoncheck on it. It lost 88,000km in the last year! A well spent $25!

Off the top of your head, how much lower in the rear was it? for you to notice it must have been 25mm+?

Have a look at this similar Legacy which has a uneven fender gap:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-242498188.htm

Quite a few Subaru's have it if you have a look around. It isn't negative rake, just the front wheel well is taller than the rear.

Without seeing the car I would say the tyre wear is a toe out issue rather than too much negative camber or something being worn out.

That is pretty weird that you made that as an example. Cos that's the car!

Decided not to go for it in the end though, as i've found a 96 for similar money.

The VZ was nice, just alignment, rear tyres etc. Wasn't worth the money for me. Plus the owner was struggling to prove the cambelt had been done.

Thanks for the advice everyone ;D

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

the vz i have has "adjustable blah blah bullshit sales pitch suspension"

the back is always lower in these cars.. u can tell if it has the " bullshit adjustable" by looking on the top hats ( if they are original ) and also on the dash will be a squarish display with height adjustable on it...

the vz and the gt that i owned both had this :)

just do whats good for them and get some lows or superlows. problem solved :)