Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Performance mods for Subaru Forest stb 2000

Hi Guys

Just brought a subaru forester 2000 model stb and just wonder what kind of mods can i get for this vehicle?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks heaps

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/how-turn-better-than-sti-cheap-10696/

I've lowered mine with WRX struts, it's got a cat back exhaust and a k@n panel filter and a CIA (read snorkus removal), next is a downpipe.

That's all for now. When I wanna go faster I'll save up and sell it to buy an STI, the best vfm upgrade lol

so far its lowered on racing hart 19 inch with nankang ns2 after market struts with cobra springs I think. just getting a group A pipe and 3 inch exhaust done on thursday. has an hks ssq bov installed yesterday and I just need to go and get an after market pod filter. was wondering if the version 7 sti top mount intercooler would bolt stra8 on. Does anyone know wot would be a good upgrade on the turbo for the forester?

Guest sleeperfoz

mmm i think nztintin did an intercooler swap a while ago.

as for what i can remember it cost a bit of coin :)

yup i did the v7 onto a foz mission, on my car the IAC valve hit the bov mount on the v7 intercooler, had to get a bit of modification done to the intercooler to fit it, could have removed the IAC valve and got a link but didn't have the coin at the time, apart from that i also had to extend the inlet y pipe underneath the intercooler cause the turbo didn't quite line up.

for me it is only a "bling" mod for now as i'm not running anymore boost than standard so havent got any real gains from it, i have got a Ver8 style scoop and air splitter so the intercooler is actually getting air to all of it.

post up a pic of your engine bay and i will be able to say if your IAC valve is in the way, some cars have them in different places, also most strut braces will hit the intercooler, i had to custom make one to fit (i tried 3 different ones)

I'd recomend the resonatoer deletion, decent panel filter and "marley" cold air intake for bang for buck over a pod, most pods end up sucking hot air from the engine bay!

DO NOT GO POD FILTER!!!!

My car came with one, a Blitz one, so you'd think it was pretty good.. I wondered why it ran rough, even on 98 gas, was slower than other Foresters, etc.. so I put a standard air box back in it, with a second hand filter... It ran smooth as babys ass, and was about 40% faster too... Also sounded nicer I personally think.

So yeah.. Stock airbox = win

Btw.. Standard filters are just as good as any after market one... K&N, Apexi, etc.. Just go buy a standard one to replace the dirty old one.

Sudo said:

DO NOT GO POD FILTER!!!!

My car came with one, a Blitz one, so you'd think it was pretty good.. I wondered why it ran rough, even on 98 gas, was slower than other Foresters, etc.. so I put a standard air box back in it, with a second hand filter... It ran smooth as babys ass, and was about 40% faster too... Also sounded nicer I personally think.

So yeah.. Stock airbox = win

Btw.. Standard filters are just as good as any after market one... K&N, Apexi, etc.. Just go buy a standard one to replace the dirty old one.

40% faster! everybody quick put your original airbox back on!

koo thanks guys your been a big help. will post pictures of engine bay and car shortly as soon as I get time to take them. does any one know where i can get a hold of a front grill to replace the factory one that comes on the 2000 model. i'm after the mesh type looking 1 cheers?

i wouldnt bother upgrading your top mount too much.

Personally id either chuck on a water spray system or a front mount.

A bigger, more efficient top mount will be good for heat soak around town.......but it will still suffer from heat soak.

How hard do you want to go on engine mods? Why not look for a v6 STi ecu/injectors/turbo combo? AFAIK the foz got greys and the td04?

BTW id concur with the option of staying with a factory air box.

Maybe not 40%...but its definately better lol.

Go front mount, i noticed a bit of lag when going from top mount to front but but you soon get use to it, nothing a turbo back exhaust or boost controller cant fix and onces your up in the revs it just seems to keep climbing . . . its awesome. Noticeable difference in intake temp too. I also didnt find it too hard to get it to fit with my bumper, just mock it up and keep shaving but iv got for the whole stealth approach. I also noticed that my HKS SSQV blow off valve its alot louder now because it doesn't have the piddly hose as it is now welded on with a flange and lets alot more pressure out, also gives off the nice chuffy sequential noise. if you need help with a front mount let me know. It only took about 6 hours all up to do.

DSC_1102.jpg?t=1236758641

Image4.jpg?t=1236758668

Image1.jpg?t=1236758690

Rameka said:

where did you get your front mount from as the ones I have seen the bigger pipe goes the other way?

the dick at DSR (driftsideracing) sold me the kit, came with no instructions and he was no help at all. All he did was send it then he didn't answer any of my emails.

This kit works perfect because it all fits in place without having to move or modify anything (other than needing an after market air filter).

The pipes which go the other way a round are usually WRX kits and the right hand pipe usually runs along the top towards the battery and down where the overflow tank is which either has to be moved or replaced (iv seen a few people use drink cans but it looks horrible!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

hey thanks for that. I have seen the one on trademe from those guys. I tell these kits look so much better. are you from wellington?