Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

slimline radiator fans

wildturkey

nztintin said:

do the slimline fans work as well as the factory fans, cause the slimlines will have no shroud on them?

i have had a one or two on other cars i have owned, i thought they worked better than the factory ones, most slimlines are highflow. im goin to put on on my wrx because i have to now.

Running 2x 10" fans on the coupe with no issues on the road or track

They have shrouds and flow mega air ( more than a factory ) due to twice a many blades and more powerful motor (draws another 3 amps )

nztintin said:

do the slimline fans work as well as the factory fans, cause the slimlines will have no shroud on them?

The slimline ones do pull more air, but they also only pull it through the area on the radiator that is behind the fan.

The only way i would be confident in saying they help the radiator work better, is if you got the biggest diameter slimline fan you possibly could and stuck that on there, atleast you would be using more of the radiator.

This is what i did for my fan on the tight gap on the EZ30R:

Went to pick-a-part and got an Air Con radiator fan off a STi they had there, they are paper thin and have awesome steel shrouds on them.

I then got my slimline fan, which happened to be the same diameter as the fan in the shroud, and fitted it across. Then to make it fit perfectly and look factory, you just grind off the mounts on the shroud and weld them back onto where you want.

This will give you awesome flow while using more of the area in the radiator.

fans only needed during low vehicle speed, at which time the engine isnt making much heat anyway = usually idle / in traffic

early fans come on with full throttle also , but this was deleted in later models

Also if there isn't much of a gap between your radiator and engine. Having a small gap means it cant exhaust the hot air fast enough due to the lack of ventilation, which means all of the cool air ends up going around your radiator, not through it as you go faster (which usually means a hotter engine). Having fans going on the radiator in this situation will improve airflow even at high vehicle speeds as it is forcing it to exhaust hot air, which will allow for more fresh air to come through.

wildturkey']

[quote name='driftrex said:

put fan on the front of radiator to give more room behind ;)

/quote]

i like the suggestion but i need the room in front of the radiator for fmic

i have a front mount cooler and theres plenty of room. thats actually one reason for doing it, will draw air through the intercooler as well when idling/town driving, been alot closer to it.

driftrex']

/quote]

i have a front mount cooler and theres plenty of room. thats actually one reason for doing it, will draw air through the intercooler as well when idling/town driving, been alot closer to it.

nice..........wana send me sum pics of ur setup?..........or post them up?

sharktale said:

would that not create turbulence when moving forward and slow down air flow through radiator?

maybe a little but i have had them setup like this on other cars with no problems. and i will be running a alloy radiator, plenty enough to keep it cool.

i would say the fan on the back would have a very similar effect though and slow the flow.

wildturkey']

/quote]

i would if it was finished lol, the front mount is all in, and bumper on, just no radiator yet as that will be custom to suit my plans for intercooler piping. car has been off the road for around 5 months now :( check the impreza garage if you wana see what im doing.

but basically there is the width of the bottom radiator support empty, i can measure if you like but its more than 45mm thats for sure. your legacy should be similar in space there.

driftrex']

/quote]

i would if it was finished lol, the front mount is all in, and bumper on, just no radiator yet as that will be custom to suit my plans for intercooler piping. car has been off the road for around 5 months now :( check the impreza garage if you wana see what im doing.

but basically there is the width of the bottom radiator support empty, i can measure if you like but its more than 45mm thats for sure. your legacy should be similar in space there.

yeah i had a quick measure up I have shitloads of room in the front with my ac radiator and waic radiator out