Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BG5A to 5mt manual conversion

Guest vf20/21bg5

Guest vf20/21bg5

Hi guys,b4 i get my 6mt later nxt year im thinking of putting a 5mt manual conversion kit in my 96 bg5a auto wagon as a starter plus to run in my new engine and ive read that the v5/6 5mt have a stronger and better braced casing resulting in less case flex and even better is the v7/8 etc using cold forged gears and shot peening...

....can i use either v5/6/7/8 5mt's in my conversion being that thy are from 1999 to 2003 and if so what will i need to change?...diff ?,driveshaft? axles? cross member? starter mtr? .... thats if it can be done

i realise ill need to add the basic things like speedo cluster and pedal box,master and slave etc but unsure of the interchangability of the drivetrain and shafts

Whoa o.O

The 6MT and 5MT are completely different. Not exactly swappable, you need to do the entire drivetrain in one fell swoop between them.

If you go 5MT it's a fairly straightforward swap, depending on which one you get. Clutch gear, possibly driveshafts, definitely propshaft, possibly rear diff. Easiest to get a box that will plop in with the same rear diff ratio :) We just did this on a BF5, and matdaymon has just done it to his Forester.

If you go 6MT you have to swap EVERYTHING. In fact, best bet is to get a munted 7/8/9/10 and swap everything south of the engine over. It's to the point that I'm doing the hubs and Brembos as well, as it makes for an 'easier' swap.

Also remember that the 5MT boxes are nice and light. To the point that most of the guys here LITERALLY pick them up with two hands and LIFT them around. The 6MTs are really dang heavy! At least as much as an auto if not more. Your car will handle it, but I get the feeling that my wagon rather than my sedan is going to get my 6MT :P

You'll need the appropriate crossmember and starter motor regardless of which box you use :)

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Shale said:

Whoa o.O

The 6MT and 5MT are completely different. Not exactly swappable, you need to do the entire drivetrain in one fell swoop between them.

If you go 5MT it's a fairly straightforward swap, depending on which one you get. Clutch gear, possibly driveshafts, definitely propshaft, possibly rear diff. Easiest to get a box that will plop in with the same rear diff ratio :) We just did this on a BF5, and matdaymon has just done it to his Forester.

If you go 6MT you have to swap EVERYTHING. In fact, best bet is to get a munted 7/8/9/10 and swap everything south of the engine over. It's to the point that I'm doing the hubs and Brembos as well, as it makes for an 'easier' swap.

Also remember that the 5MT boxes are nice and light. To the point that most of the guys here LITERALLY pick them up with two hands and LIFT them around. The 6MTs are really dang heavy! At least as much as an auto if not more. Your car will handle it, but I get the feeling that my wagon rather than my sedan is going to get my 6MT :P

You'll need the appropriate crossmember and starter motor regardless of which box you use :)

ok cool thanx...so for now ill need just any manual driveshaft from any model and any crossmember?or a gt/gtb wagon manual crossmember?plus a manual starter motor?....

Guest vf20/21bg5

my auto rear diff is already 4.111 anyway isnt it?....and i know all the other parts i need as im asking for thm right now under "wanted".....so starter,manual driveshaft and crossmember?...what about can i use the auto crossmember and just swap mounts?.....and what about the top gbox mount? is that the same as the auto?cheers

You need the crossmember to match both your gearbox and your exhaust. ie: If you are twin turbo, you need a twin turbo manual crossmember. If you are single turbo, you can use fairly much any manual crossmember. We used a manual 1990 GT crossmember on the BF5 conversion despite the box being from a GTB. And no, the auto one won't go anywhere near. If you have a look at a manual box vs an auto box, the auto is a lot larger!

Easiest thing to do: get a conversion kit. Personally I say get a GTB kit - the box is pretty much the same as STi. That way you get your pedal box, the clutch gear, the driveshaft and the starter (I imagine they should be mated to their appropriate box, have always done so in the past so can't say otherwise).

From memory the BF5/Impreza and BG5 manual propshafts were a different length. Either way we bought one to match the car rather than the gearbox, and everything is hunky-dory :)

Lurk on TM for cars being parted out, and have a squiz around the wreckers. Stuff is better bought matching, to prevent later headaches. At least as a BG5, a GTB conversion will be far less annoying than a BF5 conversion!

Diff ratio... not entirely sure on that one. Not dealt with an auto BG before ;D

Ninja edit: I've found at least five potential donors in the wrecked car section between hamilton and the north shore of Auckland. These could be helpful to you :P

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Shale said:

You need the crossmember to match both your gearbox and your exhaust. ie: If you are twin turbo, you need a twin turbo manual crossmember. If you are single turbo, you can use fairly much any manual crossmember. We used a manual 1990 GT crossmember on the BF5 conversion despite the box being from a GTB. And no, the auto one won't go anywhere near. If you have a look at a manual box vs an auto box, the auto is a lot larger!

Easiest thing to do: get a conversion kit. Personally I say get a GTB kit - the box is pretty much the same as STi. That way you get your pedal box, the clutch gear, the driveshaft and the starter (I imagine they should be mated to their appropriate box, have always done so in the past so can't say otherwise).

From memory the BF5/Impreza and BG5 manual propshafts were a different length. Either way we bought one to match the car rather than the gearbox, and everything is hunky-dory :)

Lurk on TM for cars being parted out, and have a squiz around the wreckers. Stuff is better bought matching, to prevent later headaches. At least as a BG5, a GTB conversion will be far less annoying than a BF5 conversion!

Diff ratio... not entirely sure on that one. Not dealt with an auto BG before ;D

Ninja edit: I've found at least five potential donors in the wrecked car section between hamilton and the north shore of Auckland. These could be helpful to you :P

...wrecked car section?......

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Shale said:
...oh hey what do you meen by clutchgear?...do you meen the lever that engages the thrust bearing onto the pressure plate frm the slave?

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Shale said:

I mean more or less the paraphernalia you need but often forget about until the last minute, then have to find someone to drive you to the wreckers :P Always happens with conversions.

lol ahh im wif ya now hehehe...