Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Z32 AFM into version 1/2 WRX

Just wondered if anyone here is running a Z32 AFM, and if so do they have any ifo on the wiring to install it. I do have some info regarding wiring the Z32 AFM into an 99/00 WRX, perhps its the same. If anyone does have any info to offer it would be useful. Cheers

Subbie AFMs are very similar to Nissan ones. So it wouldnt be hard to do. I remember back when I was a Nissan boy that you could swap the different sticker AFMs between cars by swapping over the plugs that attach to them to get them to plug straight in. May well work the same for the Z32 ones?

Z32 AFMs are kinda small though, as they use two from the factory. So would be better to get a R33 GTSt one as I think they are the largest flowing Nissan ones from the factory.

However, of course your going to need an aftermarket ECU to be able to control it. Things like the Power FC actually have options in them to tell them what AFM your using.

Or you could get a Link and avoid the whole issue...?

Z32 AFM's are near identical to the RS/GT or early WRX one.

The element in the Z32 AFM will handle 250kw@wheels in a Subaru, the standard AFM would have shat itself long before this figure.

Internally they are both 70mm.

The largest AFM Nissan does would be the Q45 AFM which I think is 90mm.

Yeah I already have a power FC kicking around in the shed so was going to throw it in until I can afford a link. The Z32 is a recommended upgrade to the standard subaru AFM. Was talking to Walter at NZ EFI and it was his reccomendation. I have also heard of people using the Q45, but the general preference was the the Z32 which I have sitting here. Like you said should not be too hard, I was just being lazy and hoping someone may have done it and have the wires which need swapping.

I have also read/been told the Z32 can handle oiled filters where as the subaru one is like to shit itself?

Cheers

Qwerty said:

Or you can just rehouse your existing afm into a bigger pipe and it will cope with any power figure you like.

I didnt think it was the diameter that was an issue as its not the smallest of the intake tract anyway, I think its more to do with being wideband or not? not sure maybe someone else can add something here.

The hot wire sensor only reads how much air passes direct past it - it doesn't care how big/small the pipe is.

The bigger the pipe the more air that will flow arround the sensor thus able to make more power than a std pipe size.

BC5RA said:

From what I've seen of Power FC conversions is the resolution of the AFM sensor that is the difference.

Yeah I did read something about that as well. Will be interesting, hopefully its a step in the right direction. Obviously the G4 and its abillity to bin the afm all together is the end goal. This will give me a bit more go short term is the aim.