Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help!!! buying a v7 sti wrx waggon and need info please

Im new to the forums and am looking to buy a v7 sti wrx waggon ,

Im wanting to know

*Is there any common problems to look out for ?

*Any models to stay clear from etc ?

*Other than the brembo brakes are the sti waggon and sedan the same spec ie injector size turbo size etc ?

*What sort of km to expect to do a clutch ,and what sort of cost ?

*What boost should it be running with an after market pipe and filter ,and what is a safe amount ?

Any other info you have to offer would be appreciated :)

Common problems are big end bearing although v7 onwards "Seem" to be less prone to them but gues sit just depends on kms and service history.

Pretty sure they come as the same spec motor wise etc.

Clutch could last 20,000km - 200000km depending how its been driven/looked after...

Id say around 100,000-120,000km is a common number for them to be done.

Looking at around 5-600 for a genuine 5 speed sti clutch if i remmeber correctly possibly a bit more for a 6 speed one plus labour which maybe 4 -5 hours work say

Is the wagon detuned or anything like that ?

How do i tell if an sti has the correct engine and turbo or is a jap model or not?

Should a wagon have forged internals?

engine wise the sedan and wagon are similar - both have the same forged type internals and vf30 turbo and pink 565 injectors and intercooler setup

same interior but different design rear seats for wagon - still sti blu tho

suspension is slightly different spring rates

breaks different

front kit and fendor different

but really not too much other than that few major things

boost wise see around 18psi standard

expect some good gains from full turbo back exhaust (standard filter setup seems pretty good for street car so not much use in a pod unless its a proper cold air setup)

as above clutch depends on how much u abuse them lol

not too much wrong with them so just look for a decent example and u should be sweet

Just changed to a V7 STI wagon myself. Great car. These are some items of many to check:

1. Ownership history, kilometres, warrant dates, registration, money owning e.t.c.

2. Evidence of accident - chassis clamp marks, different colour panels, even gaps between panels, rattles

3. Modified or not. Personally highly prefer standard exhaust, no extra earthing kit, no gauges, timers, chips e.t.c.

4. Rust around front pillars

5. Obvious condition of panels, interior e.t.c.

6. Worth investing in professional check and get up on hoist - leaks, tensioners, water pump, cambelt, rust, brakes e.t.c.

Invest $150 in someone checking it to save you $$$.

Otherwise, it is a great car. I can say I spent 6 months looking for one before I found one. The one I purchased was the best I found over 6 months of looking but I still need to spend $1.5K getting her mint.

Good luck. It's worth it.