johnny5

V7 Sti coughing and sputtering on WOT

The car has developed a sputtering effect on WOT from what I tested out on open roads its more likely to happen when plating my foot down in fifth or 6th gear to overtake or even if i chop down to 4th to pass from 80kmh to 110kph.

Now if I just give the car some boot through the gears once its warm and up to temp it can be fine some times not playing up at all but after a little while of driving on the motorway it will start sputtering under load.

It seems like a miss but its only intermittent and only on WOT in higher gears

Research from Nasioc suggested AFR sensor troubles but I wouldn't have a clue I might just order and change it to be safe soon but your guys thoughts would be great Im also leaning towards new coil packs maybe .

The Plugs are about 3000kms old I went with BKR7EIX this time around

Front cam sensor has been changed 1000kms ago

no CEL's have flashed while this has happened but I will be pulling codes and doing logs this Saturday with Pappu

Coils or afm at a guess. Plenty of v7s in auck swap some parts up.

evowrx said:
Coils or afm at a guess. Plenty of v7s in auck swap some parts up.

I'll see what parts Pappu or one of the boys have but its what I'm leaning to next but surely that would have made a cel flash bro

Coils don't light CEL that frequently for some reason. Dunno about Subies specifically, but on some cars (yes, OBDII equipped) you can completely disconnect the coil and not cause a CEL.

Not necessarily afm doesnt always throw cel and no idea how misfire cel is thrown.

Zenki said:
Coils don't light CEL that frequently for some reason. Dunno about Subies specifically, but on some cars (yes, OBDII equipped) you can completely disconnect the coil and not cause a CEL.

I'll test this tomorrow I have pulled them to do a test before but can't remember

Dont think so as they have a built in ignitor. Well thats what ive read i have no ae knowledge.

johnny5 said:
The car has developed a sputtering effect on WOT from what I tested out on open roads its more likely to happen when plating my foot down in fifth or 6th gear to overtake or even if i chop down to 4th to pass from 80kmh to 110kph.

Now if I just give the car some boot through the gears once its warm and up to temp it can be fine some times not playing up at all but after a little while of driving on the motorway it will start sputtering under load.

It seems like a miss but its only intermittent and only on WOT in higher gears

Research from Nasioc suggested AFR sensor troubles but I wouldn't have a clue I might just order and change it to be safe soon but your guys thoughts would be great Im also leaning towards new coil packs maybe .

The Plugs are about 3000kms old I went with BKR7EIX this time around

Front cam sensor has been changed 1000kms ago

no CEL's have flashed while this has happened but I will be pulling codes and doing logs this Saturday with Pappu

What boost control system you running ? standard oem solenoid or aftermarket ?

Fastfour said:
Have got a set of coils from a ver7 STi sitting on my shelf currently

Could very well be coming to see you I think bro