Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What sensors are best to use with a link G4 wire in?

Guest vf20/21bg5

Guest vf20/21bg5

I will soon be needing the ej20t engine sensors for my new engine build which includes all the top brands and producing alot of kws,so i was wondering off what model should i sort all the sensors off being that i will be buying a link G4 (wire in)?? or should i go aftermarket sensors?

V2/3/4/5/6 sensors? or/and what aftermarket sensors would be recomended if i dont need all subaru ones? for example im thinking of a bigger aftermarket throttle body and maybe manifold so wouldnt that have its own position sensor? etc etc etc with the other sensors too?

I will be stripping all engine wiring and de-looming engine bay and starting fresh with th "G4 wire in" loom (as per what you guys recomended me to do rather then try and sort out the old engine loom)

I do realise there may be some sensors i just have to use that are subaru but would like to know from you more race engined orientated guys out thr in clubsub land,cheers

What sort of sensors are you talking about? i.e. cam angle, crank angle, water temp etc

I'd just use the factory ones as they're proven to work and going aftermarket is just an exercise in spending unnecessary cash for no gain IMO. What do you have at the moment? From memory yours is a TT Legacy. If its 96+ GTB then you've pretty much got all the same sensors as V3/4 STI anyway. Really a crank sensor is a crank sensor so I'd just choose one to suit the wiring you have to save having to go searching for plugs etc. You don't want to be soldering extra plugs onto sensor wires anyway as it degrades the signal.

About the only things I'd change is MAP sensor and boost control valve.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Koom said:

What sort of sensors are you talking about? i.e. cam angle, crank angle, water temp etc

I'd just use the factory ones as they're proven to work and going aftermarket is just an exercise in spending unnecessary cash for no gain IMO. What do you have at the moment? From memory yours is a TT Legacy. If its 96+ GTB then you've pretty much got all the same sensors as V3/4 STI anyway. Really a crank sensor is a crank sensor so I'd just choose one to suit the wiring you have to save having to go searching for plugs etc. You don't want to be soldering extra plugs onto sensor wires anyway as it degrades the signal.

About the only things I'd change is MAP sensor and boost control valve.

i will be going fresh on everything as i wont be stripping the tt for parts cause it will be sold as a going engine. I will be buying everything and building it on an engine stand,and so when i do the swap it will be a str8 swap apart from having to wire in the link and sort the 6mt and drivetrain out.....

i did realise there would be some sensors i would have to use that is subaru like as you said the water/crank/cam sensors (are v3/4/5/6 all the same? or are there better ones in certain models?)

.............so just changing the map sensor and boost control valve you say,what brand and cost of them do you know?....

sorry for the inexperience on the matter but would rather go str8 to you guys to point me in the right direction rather then steering myslf in the wrong direction then comming to you lol

oh and i will be de-looming engine bay and using the G4 storms 2.5m loom thy supply for wire in's and doing most of it myself

Map sensor and Boost solenoid valve; The Link ones would be best, you have to use their Map sensor I think and their solenoid is similar to alot of aftermarket boost controller solenoids and you can just use the boost control thats in the Link.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Koom said:

Map sensor and Boost solenoid valve; The Link ones would be best, you have to use their Map sensor I think and their solenoid is similar to alot of aftermarket boost controller solenoids and you can just use the boost control thats in the Link.

ok thanx heaps will buy them too....im also running a twisted turbo setup with a garrett2876r and possibly an aftermarket inlet manifold so what what size throttle body would you recomend ?

true, i thought they were external to the ecu. interesting.

i dont like how they do that, its like the Motec? ecu's one reason i didnt go that way.

-smurff

smurff said:

true, i thought they were external to the ecu. interesting.

i dont like how they do that, its like the Motec? ecu's one reason i didnt go that way.

-smurff

You used that as a reason to not buy a Motec ???

You can use a higher rated LINK external MAP sensor if wanted I think.

i used the link with external map sensor.

if you have a vacume line running to the ecu i dont like the idea of how long the pressure can change in regards to the plenum

-smurff

Guest vf20/21bg5
 smurff said:

i used the link with external map sensor.

if you have a vacume line running to the ecu i dont like the idea of how long the pressure can change in regards to the plenum

-smurff

i like this thought and hence why i maybe would not use the storm's built in map sensor and use one more closer to the engines vacume sorce ,but can anyone say that the pressure drop in a long bit of solid vacume line (or line with no give when vac applied) would hinder this enuf to worry it? how much of a delay or accuracy problem would there be being that surely link would have tested this thoroughly prior to releasing it?

The G4 plug in for subaru uses the stock map sensor.

If you planning on running around 1.5bar of boost 22psi then I would look at upgrading so your not hitting map cut too often if at all.

Use your stock reluctors, Engine coolant temp sensor. TPS doesn't matter as long as it is 0-5volt. its pretty simple to get it done right, for the reluctor wiring I think theres diagrams on the link website but don't quote me on that. you need to get the polatity around the right way otherwise you will have triggering errors all day long.

We havn't had any issues with there being a 2m or so vacume line to the ECU, you just need to make sure its 3-4mm ID as reccomended by link.

with throttle bodys, don't go to huge as you will lose low throttle responce, a common issue with RBs and 80mm and 90mm throttle bodys.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 GETLOW said:

The G4 plug in for subaru uses the stock map sensor.

If you planning on running around 1.5bar of boost 22psi then I would look at upgrading so your not hitting map cut too often if at all.

Use your stock reluctors, Engine coolant temp sensor. TPS doesn't matter as long as it is 0-5volt. its pretty simple to get it done right, for the reluctor wiring I think theres diagrams on the link website but don't quote me on that. you need to get the polatity around the right way otherwise you will have triggering errors all day long.

We havn't had any issues with there being a 2m or so vacume line to the ECU, you just need to make sure its 3-4mm ID as reccomended by link.

with throttle bodys, don't go to huge as you will lose low throttle responce, a common issue with RBs and 80mm and 90mm throttle bodys.

hey cool thanx for that info m8....im sorry to sound dumb but what are my stock reluctors?...havnt heard that name for years,im guessing they are the magnetic pickup sensors ie; crank and cam position sensors?...is that all the reluctors i need? and thanx for your input into throttle bodies as i was going to go with an 80mm for my 400 plus hp build but as i want good responce off the mark i will have to go to 70 or 75mm if thy do them?

Yup there the little maginet things, by the crank pully and passangers side top cam gear.

If your not sure on what trigger to wire to what reluctor then theres some pretty good info on the link website or in the PC link help.

If 80mm bolts on then I would go with that for ease, I'm don't think i have seen anybody that makes anything smaller. It might not make much of a difference, but its just worth noting it