Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Inlet manifold spacer?

familyman

Just a wee thought excercise:

in my old bogan V8 days, used to be talk of spacers made to go between carb and inlet manifold. Essentially this increased the size of plenum allowing for better throttle response (IIRC).

If one was to apply reasoning to EJ20t manifold, due to rather small volume by other standards, would some 1in (figure pulled from ass) help to alleviate lag?

Like I said before, this is just a random thought I had and I am fully open to being proven right or wrong.

Discuss away. (and let's assume we will deal with bonnet clearnce issues later)

This was talked about breifly the other day. There was a reason this isnt feasable (sp) but I dont think it was really ellaborated on.

I think it could be due to the injectors being mounted at the bottem of the runners? By installing spacers you'd increase the distance the fuel needs to travel possibly causing improper ignition?

i belive you can order them from gizmo, i emailed them a few weeks ago with no reply :(

they do space for a different reason, but it will stell increase the volume of the plenum and will offset the injectors from the head, so same factors as spacers are involved.

-smurff

Guest itsgotgo

Two very different kettles of fish.

If you are referring to the v8 as in windsor or chev.

They dont carry a spacer at the base of the manifold.

Unless fit a phenolic spacer under the carb.

Or if you mean like this http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/blackxr6/?action=view&current=P2030004.jpg

The spacer is used to increase top end response.

If you want better low end response the best way to do this is to have the carbs on flat plane very close to the inlet and heads.

However your problem is lag,is this because of a big turbo?

I am far more at home with n/a cars,but i am sure sumone else will fill you in on the turbo side for lag.

If you get stuck,you can always add a 50hp shot of NOS FTW :D ;D

itsgotgo said:

The spacer is used to increase top end response.

If you want better low end response the best way to do this is to have the carbs on flat plane very close to the inlet and heads.

However your problem is lag,is this because of a big turbo?

I am far more at home with n/a cars,but i am sure sumone else will fill you in on the turbo side for lag.

If you get stuck,you can always add a 50hp shot of NOS FTW :D ;D

yeah that what I meant. Perfect answer cheers dude. Ok. Rules out that thought.

So to further learning for me and others, why do aftermarket plenums always have extra capacity especially for monster horsepower drag cars?

Guest itsgotgo

Depends on what you consider a monster drag car? 4cyl turbo,6cyl turbo v8 turbo,v8 bb scharged,top fuel ha ha.

The plenums are larger for the top end charge.

Although the ford in that picture runs 8,90 over the quarter.

It has monster heads,supercobra jet heads with over 30hrs of porting.

it needs to breathe,we did a comparison between the flat plane and 2x 1050cfm dominators over the 1/4 mile.

The 60ft times were awesome as a flat plane, but fell away in the top end 9.5 sec 1/4 due to lack of inlet size and volumetric efficiency.

The majority of resonable drag cars will also run a stall converter of 2.5k rpm or up 5krpm+

So when leaving the line they are allready flowing very well and only a few hundred rpm away from running towards the best efficiency for making instant power.

I hope this is as clear as mud ;) ;D

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

wouldnt flipping the intake manifold and using a front mount intercooler also be a better solution?

ie: less distance for the air to travel?

just a thought..

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi
 familyman said:

Very valid point. Guess I just think too much outside the square. Like was stated earlier, IF it did help why doesn't everyone do it.

plus bonnet clearance would be a super pain in the butt

bonnet clearance is fine. u get a flipped alternator bracket and the i/c pipe goes where the alternator used to sit

no probs for clearance?