Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Locating/changing knock sensor. BG5C GTB Ltd (ej20r)

Treecrusher said:

There are loads of JDM tuners that offer springs. And I would imagine that they are pretty good. But the price and availability always puts me off.

Heck for the price of new HKS springs you could buy second hand set of adjustables of tard me

Thats my other option, 2nd hand adjusties... they would be better i guess??

Well, if you're aware about brands like dobi and kings sagging, they can be a meh temporary option. I honestly don't see anything wrong with factory height though :P

With second hand coil overs, do watch the brands. Again, cheap unknown/popular-with-cheap-boy-racer brands should be avoided.

Also give your nearest big subie wreckers a call, they often have coil overs lying about the place.

Where do yah live?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Suspension/auction-284976625.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Suspension/auction-284294055.htm

Tein.. dey be good. Don't know of any reputations they may have.

Also, you can fit WRX stuff fine, it all bolts ups. What you CAN'T fit are Gen 3 and 4 legacy ones, late 98+

I think an inch or 2 would make it look just that little bit better but just my opinion.

im in nelson mate and we dont have a hell of a lot around here but i guess a few phone calls and i may have some luck??

what do you run reuben? think we have same wagon

And if you do get adjustables factor in a rebuild and cert.

But that will work out around 4 x the price of kingies.

Maybe look into the JDM brands. The last time I looked was a couple of years ago on a translated japanese website. You may find local importers now that can do them cheaper. But they will be a lot more than $400.

Treecrusher said:

And if you do get adjustables factor in a rebuild and cert.

But that will work out around 4 x the price of kingies.

Maybe look into the JDM brands. The last time I looked was a couple of years ago on a translated japanese website. You may find local importers now that can do them cheaper. But they will be a lot more than $400.

thats true,would be worth doin the rebuild aye.

i guess i should take my time n ring around as i dont wana put shit in my car

Fozzy...GTB Ltd said:

I think an inch or 2 would make it look just that little bit better but just my opinion.

im in nelson mate and we dont have a hell of a lot around here but i guess a few phone calls and i may have some luck??

We do have the same wagon, welcome to the LTD club :D. I run stock mate. It's perfectly fine, and 90% of my driving is open road though, so adjusties would be out of the question unless they were SOFT.

I've been modding things like steering rack, sturt braces, Alloy arms, and soon anti-roll bars, to improve handling.

dubbedup said:

you can get knocksensor out without taken intercooler off, just require some special tools and some extenable magnets.

i think you just made my day/night

ReubenH']

[quote name='Fozzy...GTB Ltd said:

/quote]

We do have the same wagon, welcome to the LTD club :D. I run stock mate. It's perfectly fine, and 90% of my driving is open road though, so adjusties would be out of the question unless they were SOFT.

I've been modding things like steering rack, sturt braces, Alloy arms, and soon anti-roll bars, to improve handling.mine is also mainly highway so guess it isnt that big a deal. i have cusco front strut brace and mines front under body brace but that is all,i just want the a good simple settup

Fozzy...GTB Ltd']

[quote name='Fozzy...GTB Ltd said:

/quote]

I've been modding things like steering rack, sturt braces, Alloy arms, and soon anti-roll bars, to improve handling.mine is also mainly highway so guess it isnt that big a deal. i have cusco front strut brace and mines front under body brace but that is all,i just want the a good simple settup

ok that last reply added to end of yours,my bad

• 1 year later...
 Fozzy...GTB Ltd said:

The CEL comes up once or twice a week maybe(some days it wont come up at all) and i did the fault finder and came up with code 22.

So i gota replace it.

Can anyone help a newby out with some advice/instructions/tips or tell me if im an idiot for atempting it myself.

I just wana learn about my wagon. Cheers, Fozzy

Hi There.

I have to make an attempt at replacing the knock sensor on my Ltd Edition GTB and I stumbled across your post here.

Mixed opinions about this job, intercooler on/off..?

Did you manage to do yours without removing the intercooler... if so how long did it take you to do the work..

Do you mind me asking you how much you paid for new knock sensor... In Ireland I have been quoted €120 ( inc VAT at 21%) which is about $165 Australian...

Oh and by the way my GTB is Yellow... and my other GTB (with blown crank is white)

Regards

Paul

Intercooler off will make things much easier, and they aren't THAT hard to put back on. I'd say over all, the job would be made easier by taking the IC off, so long as you know how to persuade them back on

I never successfully replace my knock sensor myself, it's just such a bitch of a place for it, so I cheaped out and stuck a second on the bell housing. I can only get away with this because i have a low compression forged engine, i.e. very not stock (the proof is in the pudding, has now done 50,000k's, at 18psi in this config, and still runs like a charm). If your car is stock, this is simply not an option though.

I changed mine on my 97 BG5 GTB about a month ago because was getting intermittent CEL. I took IC off, don't really see how it could be done otherwise. Was the first time I had removed IC and to be honest wasn't that big of deal getting it off or back on, just a bit fiddly.

Biggest problem I had was actually replacing the knock sensor, its really buried down there! In the end I disconnected a coolant hose to get to it. Turned out the wire on my sensor had cracked and must have been the cause of the CEL because haven't had a problem since the change.

Also be sure to bolt the new sensor in the same orientation as the one you take out.