Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Pod Filter on an E Tune Legacy?

Has anyone done this??

I am looking to do it this week to my new wagon but have noticed that the Air Flow Meter is part of the air box.

Can I buy and use an airflow meter pipe like this from another legacy and put the existing airflow meter into it?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=283869519

Then I can put the Pod filter adaptor kit onto the end of that.

Any thoughts or has anyone done this before?

dogmanjunior said:

I thought pods were crap because just just suck in hot air from the engine bay?

Correct. But if you want to go pod, make sure it shielded from said heat.

Could go rather rangi and just cut holes for afm in silicon joiner. Then use lots of sealant and pray you never have to remove it!

I think best bet would be look for specific pod adapter. Try fortyone.co.nz or shell out big bucks for k&n kit. $400 if I remember rightly.

familyman']

[quote name='dogmanjunior said:

I thought pods were crap because just just suck in hot air from the engine bay?

/quote]

Correct. But if you want to go pod, make sure it shielded from said heat.

Could go rather rangi and just cut holes for afm in silicon joiner. Then use lots of sealant and pray you never have to remove it!

I think best bet would be look for specific pod adapter. Try fortyone.co.nz or shell out big bucks for k&n kit. $400 if I remember rightly.

So do you think I cant use that pipe on TradeMe above? All I would do is pull out that AFM and put mine into that pipe and use that? Your thoughts?

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

IF you do go throught with this... make sure the pod is in a sealed/ish cold air box with a snorkelectomy and make sure the pod is secure and not waving around as this can cause an eventual fail of the AFM..

you can get adaptor kits from places like repco.. theres a flange between the afm and the airbox if u have a look. ( afaik ) should have 4 bolts holding it together. be careful tho!

"make sure the pod is secure and not waving around as this can cause an eventual fail of the AFM"

meaning: if you can imagine the flow meter moving around it wont send a proper indication of air flow levels as the air will be disturbed by movement and will not provide a stable reading if its not secure.

also make sure that afm is right one for your car.. if it were me id stick with the one you have and get the adapter kit for the pod and use a cold air box.

do it once and do it right.. :)

Guest keltik

Other issue is the poor filtration of pod filters causing gunk to build up on the maf sensor wires....which causes a lean condition and engine failure.

Not sure if its scientifically proven or not - all i know is the induction pipework of cars with pod filters is filthy. Even mine got dirty within 2 months of fitting a pod filter. I dont have an air flow meter tho so i dont give a shit

keltik said:

Other issue is the poor filtration of pod filters causing gunk to build up on the maf sensor wires....which causes a lean condition and engine failure.

Not sure if its scientifically proven or not - all i know is the induction pipework of cars with pod filters is filthy. Even mine got dirty within 2 months of fitting a pod filter. I dont have an air flow meter tho so i dont give a ****

How dont you have an Air flow meter man? Can you go without them somehow? That would be the answer to all these worrys if so!! let me know...

i have a BG GTB and had a 'trust airnx' pod and alloy airbox with a 120mm duct from bumper and the car ran ok,but all it realy did was make alot of induction noise and the idol was a little unstable,not much tho.

I (today) went back to the standard airbox with a new OEM paper filter (as subie afm dont like filter oil much)

and enlarged the snorkle hole so that the 120mm duct fit perfectly so the cold air from air dam has no choice but to go into the airbox.

Immediately it idoled better,sounded better and VOD was nearly non existant...always a good thing!

If i were you,id do the same mate. pods a waste of cash,buy a ZS intake pipe instead