Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gearbox broken =/

This has gotta be the last straw for me... :-\

If I go over 3000 rpm the car will lose all power and the revs will shoot up to the red-line. It happens in every gear. I had to drive home to Wellington from the middle of the North Island like this, so hills were a pain but I did manage to get home, and slowly get to 100ks on the straights.

On a large hill when the issue 1st started happening I put the car into first and the gearbox was smoking heaps, made a really nasty grinding clunk sound which I though was the engine but there was smoke from under the car not the engine.

I'm just gonna guess I'd need a brand new gearbox or something equally as expensive?

hmm ok its been siting on the lawn for almost a month now.. I don't wanna touch it because I always fear for the worst. Guess taking it in is the option =(

Guest boostcut

sounds like the lock up part of the trans is damaged. and your obviously not getting the needed amount of oil pressure to the clutch packs solenoids

id say its definately the flux capacitor

boostcut said:

sounds like the lock up part of the trans is damaged. and your obviously not getting the needed amount of oil pressure to the clutch packs solenoids

id say its definately the flux capacitor

+1

Guest boostin
 kamineko']

has it had any service since i replaced the gearbox.. 2+ years ago?

[quote name='b00mer said:

nope

There you go. The problem is the bit between the steering wheel and the seat. Cars need to be serviced, regularly.

I do take the car for service once it gets to the amount of ks on the sticker. Gearbox service never crossed my mind. Oh well

b00mer said:

I do take the car for service once it gets to the amount of ks on the sticker. Gearbox service never crossed my mind. Oh well

thats what i was asking. if you take a car for a service they should at least check all the fluids.

if the fluids where ok then its failed by itself for some unknown reason (age). it was only a $200 2nd hand gearbox but it had been checked by a transmission shop.

that car has always needed an overhaul though - reality is it would cost more than its worth

They have an external band adjustment that may be worth a shot, but since you said it was smoking and making grinding noises I doubt it

Guest boostcut

thats not where the slipping will be.... it will be the clutch plates not the hub/brake thingy

• 3 weeks later...

well the mechanic recommend someone in pukerua bay who is a real pro to look at it, but thats abit of a drive =/

or an auto shop in the hutt

anyone know of a good gearbox place closer to welly central

/ want to take the car off my hands =( it still drives..