Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

chch cambelt help

hey need to replace the cambelt on my 1996 subaru gtb and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for price and service etc,

cheers louis

louis297 said:

hey need to replace the cambelt on my 1996 subaru gtb and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for price and service etc,

cheers louis

Costs about $700 for parts and takes me about 3,4 hours to do

RDL Performance. They have done all mine. Range between $500 to $800, depends if they come across any other probs.

RDL Perfomance

Tony

03 349 9615

027 469 5425

Guest SPANKU

is that just for cambelt? is that including new tensions, cam seals, crank seals and oil pump seal? should do your water pump at the same time also

$700 was for the whole lot done using genuine parts and oil plus filter changed

$600 sounds like a cheap crappy job using cheap crappy parts ::)

Guest boostcut

600 wouldnt even buy you crappy parts from repco mate. plus an oil change which if they used decent oil would be 100-120

id say that they didnt do the waterpump, the coolant and the auto tensioner which is pretty cheeky

boostcut said:

600 wouldnt even buy you crappy parts from repco mate. plus an oil change which if they used decent oil would be 100-120

id say that they didnt do the waterpump, the coolant and the auto tensioner which is pretty cheeky

$626.80 gets every thing apart from water pump, oil filter, engine oil

I got the quote using my trade account

Cheap and nasty ::)

familyman said:

So I had a chat with wifey to verify......

And I'm a dumbass. $600 was first payment!!! Paid another $300 the next week.

Apologies.

This is why I just earn the money and she does the spending.

Oh WOW so next time bring it to me ;D

I think last person I did it for I charged about $100 for labour, Contact ClubSub Mum for details ;D

Guest boostcut

yeah, its usually around the 1k mark at a workshop if they do everything. like seals etc. not just a belt and a spray of silicon on the cambelt covers

Armstrong Subaru have had a special going on for a wee while now where you can get basic cambelt change which includes the cambelt, tensioner and labour for $465inc gst, they also inspect everything else while in there, or you can go the whole hog and get the full monty which is

Thermostat, Cambelt

Thermostat Gasket Oil Pump O’Ring

Water Pump Crank Seal

Water Pump Gasket x4 Cam Seals

Toothed Idler Bearing 5L Engine Coolant

x2 Smooth Idler Bearings

1 Piece Auto Tensioner (1996 on) and labour all for $1350 using genuine parts.

I had mine done there not long ago and have had no problems at all.

Hailz said:

Armstrong Subaru have had a special going on for a wee while now where you can get basic cambelt change which includes the cambelt, tensioner and labour for $465inc gst, they also inspect everything else while in there, or you can go the whole hog and get the full monty which is

Thermostat, Cambelt

Water Pump Crank Seal

x2 Smooth Idler Bearings

So for $465 you get half replaced? Thats gay ::)

boostcut said:

yeah, its usually around the 1k mark at a workshop if they do everything. like seals etc. not just a belt and a spray of silicon on the cambelt covers

Well lets see I replaced every thing plus oil change with filter and it was just on $700 with a free spray of tire shine on the tires ::) ::) ::)

Guest boostcut

are you a workshop? no

do you have over heads? no

do you charge over 70 an hour? no.

this is why you did it cheaper. i can do it that cheap if i dont want to make any money aswell!

Guest SPANKU
 liquid_ice']

[quote name='Hailz said:

Thermostat, Cambelt

Water Pump Crank Seal

x2 Smooth Idler Bearings

/quote]

im glad i know how to do all these by myself. save myself $1350

liquid_ice']

[quote name='Hailz said:

Thermostat, Cambelt

Water Pump Crank Seal

x2 Smooth Idler Bearings

/quote]

Gay? perhaps but not everyone wants to spend half the value of their car on a cambelt replacement and not every engine needs the full cambelt job done, when they cracked mine open the seals and bearings were still like new, personally I'd rather go to a registered Subaru workshop with full factory warranty backing and follow up than someone in his back garage hence the higher price (no offence mate I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the work you do)

Guest boostcut

yeah your bearings look like new, but what makes you think they will last another 100,000 kms?

boostcut said:

yeah your bearings look like new, but what makes you think they will last another 100,000 kms?

Good point but I guess ya cross that road when you come to it really and at the end of the day mines an EJ20R so to sum it up theres a hell of slim chance its going to still be running in another 100,000kms

Guest boostcut
 Hailz']

[quote name='boostcut said:

/quote]

Good point but I guess ya cross that road when you come to it really and at the end of the day mines an EJ20R so to sum it up theres a hell of slim chance its going to still be running in another 100,000kms

well when you put it that way, i wouldnt have bothered doing the belt just wait for it to completely turn itself inside out

kinggts25 said:

Armstrong ftw - they did some diagnostic work on a friends car and tracked down issues several other workshops couldnt :)

Last time I went to Armstrongs they charged me $160 just to give me the error codes out of my computer lol

Guest boostcut

i would have refused to pay, and shown them how to do it, and that you could easily do it yourself.