Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

does anyone know how to setup evoscan on a 1990 rs

Hi guys,

Just woundering if anyone has set up evoscan on thier bc5,iam just after tips to get it up and running.any help would be great

It only works off OBDII doesn't it?

Pretty sure only V5 wrx onwards have OBDII.

You may be able to get it to work if you take T's from your factory ECU and rewire it in to monitor the same stuff as ODBII. But you wont be able to reflash that early ECU.

What are you trying to achieve?

Just want to data log and see what kind of tune the factory runs but according to the evoscan website the 1990 rs is supported as it runs the old rs obd1 connector and the obd2 connector so it does cars from 1989-1998 wrx but not sure what ecu my car runs

Guest boostin

90 RS will be the dirty old 8 bit ECU, the one that decides that the 1 bar boost cut should happen when you've hit 1.5 bar. ;D

Evoscan will work, you just need to get the cable to connect. What sort of cable are you using?

Depending on the version of evoscan you may need to choose either "subaru" or if using the older 2.5 version you need to use the OBD1 tick-box.

The order of operations is, find the port number in "mycomputer", set that port number in exoscan, choose either subaru or OBG1, start scanning and see what ecu Id number you get, add or choose an adreess file that will get you the right data for that model of ecu.

If you get the ecu Id number and message me I'll send you a data file that will support yor ecu... providing I have one.

Have a read here and message me if you want advice... http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,5652.0.html

Hi tryed to use the vwrx program but didnt work but i found it with evoscan under ecu id which was 703416 but it still doesnt display any real time data but help would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

I've put a new data file here ...

http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

The one you want is called "data of legrs", you need to rename it as data, then rename your existing data file as old, then put the new version in place of the old data file, that's in the "data settings" folder in evoscan. That will give you more models to choose from. If you are lucky either the 7136** or 7326** models will work for you, they are early model turbo'd legacies.

To get the vwrx software to work you need to rename one of the existing data sets to your ecu number 703416. There is another data file for the vwrx at that same download site, it has more madels added to it as well so it might pay to download that and put it into the vwrx program using the same renameing process.

Let me know how you get on and I will modify the data file again so it has your ecu number in there if you have some luck with it.

Hi mate,had a play with it but it only displays a couple of the sensors-the faults codes were wrong as i disconneted a couple of the sensors and it didnt show them up? and it cant clear the codes either so wtf-have tryed 4 different types of data files from different people off the net but still no luck,evoscsan never got back to me and some of the other forums have said the same thing so maybe it was more designed for the late model cars

good news i found that it works with 703315 ecu,the vwrx memory addresses dont seem to work but the memory addresses in the evoscan file work but only a few work with vwrx when i changed its addresses and it seems to work with revscan but it doesnt have many features so will play with the evoscan software for a while.seems to log the correct numbers for now but need to do some runs with it so will let you all know how i go.

Ha, that's weird. 703315 is a file I made for my old 1990 non-turbo... shouldn't have all the sensors you need. Wouldn't have thought it would be the right addresses either.

Basicaly what you do to find adresses is log a range of suspect or likely addresses and while they are cycling through all the addresses you wait till it's done half of them then pull a sensor and log the rest of the cycles. So you set out to log fifty addresses say and you are going to log each address ten times.. after five cyles you pull a sensor and log another five cycles through the addresses. Now clean all the text out of the log if it's a text file and paste the data in a spreadsheet, or it will already be in a spreadsheet. Choose the first colum, which is the addresses, and sort the data by that colum. You will end up with ten of the first address then ten of the next address and then ten of the next address etc. When you look at the address where the sensor is that you pulled off, it will have the first five figures then a radical jump for the next five... so the ten figures are split at the point you pulled the sensor.

That's the theory, in practice to find the likely addresses you can live scan in vwrx, (if the 803315 worked in evo it will work in vwrx too once you have sussed the setup), and you look for data that moves at all.. anything that changes as you change the engine parameters. So you start doing a live scan without logging and you let the motor idle say for a few minutes and look at the data, then you do something like pull a spark or injector or rev it up to double the idle revs for a few minutes and keep looking and see if you spaot what changed.. If you can't spot the changing fugure as it scans live then you will have to log, sort and inspect the data... which takes longer.

I have found a few addresses using this technique in several different models. I've tried helping guys on here to find addresses too but only with limited success. It helps if you know what sort of change should happen if you change a parameter, like high O2 and increased IPW if you pull a spark, or the same O2 and increased IPW if you pull an injector, double the revs if you double the idle.. stuff like that.

Try pulling an injector or something and see if the 703315 will log fault codes for that, If it does then probably all the addresses are going to be correct.