Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

URGENT! lol, bg5 fuel pump (problem is wont fire when turning over)

ebg5 NZ

1996 legacy gt-b. bg5

Alrighty, was driving car as normal ladeda..

and then (scary music) this morning i tried to turn it on and it would just wind over and not fire.

it has done this once before except one morning again I tried to start before work and it did same as above but after key off/on it worked. I cannot hear the fuel pump loadin up but have earlier today.

earlier i thought it was immobiliser was causing this (wiring in there was freakin haywire) so took all alarm wires out and took back to factory wires. but after trying to start again, it still wouldnt work. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem? looked on partsworld and they are $175 in palmy north but dont wanna spend money if this isnt definately my problem. any help would be great lol. cheers.

just had a check but the car will not run so I cannot do this test. also, just to clarify another detail. pulled off fuel line where it connects to injector rail and no gas is coming out when key on or when turning over

you only need to turn power on...dont need to start car up to do the test....yeah sounds like the problem aye now that you have pulled fuel line off...

The pump itself doesn't usually throw up a code when it dies. One way to test it is to give the top cover a tap with a hammer and then try to start it again. The wee electric motor will often start after a bit of a jolt. Its not really a long term fix but can get you going for a while. Once started they run as normal. I did this for a couple of weeks back when I was a rather poor student.

The cover is in the boot behind the drivers side passenger. May have to pull the top cover off (4x phillips head screws) and tap the top of the fuel pump housing cover thingy.

ebg5 NZ said:

re: koom

is this the same for wagon? for external fuel pump? i would be keen on trying this as i need to get to work every day lol and payday is like 9 days away o.O

External fuel pump? Do you have one or just a normal intank one?

It'll work for both types anyway as its just the electric motor gets worn out and struggles with the initial turnover. The pump in the wagon is in the same place as the sedan. Just need to pull the cover thing off the back of the rear seat and can get access to the fuel pump access panel just behind the rear passengers seat. (oval shaped cover panel)

I had this same problem with mine... it would turn over but not start. I pulled the line off the fuel filter and powered it on, there was fuel coming out.

It did start when the gas pedal was held down though... something I never tried myself!

• 2 weeks later...

right it was someone else's advice on the fuel pump being external. turns out it is an internal and didnt try the hammer technique (should've remembered lol) but went to 2nd hand place and got another for $120. probably wouldve been better to go to pick a part pretty sure they had one but maybe next time.

ebg5 NZ said:

right it was someone else's advice on the fuel pump being external. turns out it is an internal and didnt try the hammer technique (should've remembered lol) but went to 2nd hand place and got another for $120. probably wouldve been better to go to pick a part pretty sure they had one but maybe next time.

Also found that when the fuel pump is dieing/on its way out, it can also blow the fuel pump fuse. I managed to survive a week or so until I got a replacement pump by replacing the fuse - not recommended though (it was an old cheap bomb of a car, not a Suuby >:().

Other possible causes are sticking immobiliser relays in the alarm, although not so much of problem now cos' the shift is towards 'solid-state' relays these days.

Good to hear you got yr problems sorted tho.