Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air Flow Meter: New vs. Reconditioned part.

spicyHam

Hey all,

Ive got the check engine light a couple times and a rough idle - diagnostic confirmed that the AFM is playing up. Winger wanted about 550 for the job and the knock sensor so i'm thinking do it myself and save some dosh.

I,ve noticed that there are a few people selling reconditioned AFM's on trademe. These are cheaper and some even offer to fit for you right there. I don't know much about this though. Can a AFM even be reconditioned? Is it just some guy taking in old ones and spraying a bit of crc on em? I like the idea of saving cash, but i don't want to go the cheap way only to have to do it again in a short time.

I wasn't going to try and clean my current one or get a secondhand part for this very reason, but if enough of you think this works then any advice would be appreciated. Current one has only brought up check engine a couple of times in a week, yet idle is always rough.

I also need a new knock sensor, so same deal with that i suppose? Although a bit harder to find.

Also, do i need to do nething to the ECU to accept the new part or will it reconfig itself?

cheers in advance. :)

If you're handy with a soldering iron, open the top of the AFM case, resolder all the big connections, silcone the cover back on and bob's your uncle. Works pretty well most of the time as the solder's get brittle and crack with age.

If you search around on here you may find a thread with pics. I'm not sure where it is though sorry.

Guest boostin
 spicyHam said:

99 B4. So im guessing thats a negatory. Also these different coloured stickers is mighty confusing.

Thought so. I saw the message about the B4 under your avatar, and the sig about 97 RS.

Yup, the B4 AFM can't be repaired. Just buy a new one, and ask for a ClubSub discount.

If you are implying that Winger will give me a discount, i,ll believe that when pigs fly... they wanted 50 bucks just for the diagnostic. Otherwise i havnt actually had to get parts yet, so err... nowhere. My Rsb has never needed engine parts, i buy a newer 'better' B4 and here we are..

Find out what part number you need - and google

Plenty of places that sell geniune subaru parts.

Wingers/Subaru NZ don't make parts they just import them from elsewhere

Someone more clued up on your AFM will be able to confirm.

AFAIK you don't have to replace the whole AFM - which = $$$$$

On your model you can just replace the sensor. Which is cheaper.

Guest boostin
 spicyHam said:

Which one and when was this? They wanted alot more for it than that at henderson.

Try Greenlane. Henderson isn't too quick on the discount button...

Ok, so i got another AFM on trademe from a parts place. Went and fitted it, seemed to improve the idle. But as soon as i left, the check engine light came back, and by the time i got home, the car was acting just the same as before. What The S**t?! Im wondering, is it possible that the knock sensor is mucking things up, did i get a dodgy AFM, or what? GGRRRRRR frustrating! :(

Are you sure?? i was told that R92 was the turbo , while R82 was the N/A. Both the old one and the new one are R92's. Im starting to think the knock sensor is the culprit, as i disconnected the battery right after installing the new AFM, and the problem went away, making me think the AFM fixed it. But as soon as i drove the knock sensor went off and retarded the timing again. I cant be sure but i guess i will know when i,ve fixed that.