Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Det on 98 gas

neil2121

You dont need a pac file to remove timing. You can do it on the subaru scan tool but if you disconnect the battery it will go back to standard timing and will need to be done again. If your dealer doesn't no how to do it ask them what Subaru scan tool they use and pm me and ill give them instructions on how to do it. Also iv found removing 5degrees doesn't always stop the audible det on the face lift BH's. You can drill the restrictor pill on the waste gate vac hose slightly larger which will slightly lower the boost on the primary and secondary and stop the det. Also run a can of upper engine cyl clean if you haven't recently as carbon on the piston tops can add to the det problem.

Im not sure what scan tool they are using i can try and give them a call and ask them .

But im leaning more towards a home brew flash at the moment.

After i found out that a remap with my own ecus unlocked and reflashed a few times with some dyno runs and the final result a 750usd bill and car that doesnt detonate anymore or at least thats what we hoping for ?

Im not sure if this is even worth it or should i go stand alone or piggy back engine management ?

Is it easy to mapo with a base map file to start from or should i leave it to a tuner ?

I have some experiences and know a bit about fueling and 3 maps have read about this before.....

ps sorry subaru said they need a pac file from japan or something what does this mean ?

Are they talking alot of krap ?

Where can i get a subaru consult tool so that i can map the car or pull timing myself ?

i cant believe that they didnt want to help me at all because my car is grey import ?

Does any one have access to this pac file that my subaru dealership speaks of as this will help me for the future as wel?

How easy is it to map using this open source software or does one need to have a readily available codes ?

Im not sure but i am willing to give it a shot .

Though i am uncertain what type of ODBII cable to get so that i can flash as i have seen the tactrix cable but its like a wireless dongle ?

Im not sure if that what i need to get please could you point me in the right directions?

My other question is my tuner wants to charge me 750 usd and thats not evenfitting a after market ecu just opening my ecu and flashing it ?

I am confiused should it cost this much ?

he says thats including dyno time as well?

telemekas']

[quote name='adamsaiyad said:

Right thankyou for the fast response.

I have just checked on the tag and its a revision D so the number goes like BE5D .....

Now i need to be armed with some really good information here so that i can get the right job done.

What subaru tool is used to do this job ?

What should i tell the dealer to user etc cause i know they going to tell me my car is a jap Domestic car in South Africa and they have never sold this type of legacy before so there fore will not do the job for me etc etc...

Please help me and arm me with the right information so i can get this job done .

If they pull the tiiming back a little and i loose a little power i dont mind .

However i really dont want to break the engine i just want it to run reliably .

This is my second legacy the previoous model we had was a 1999 model and ran like krap i really mean like krap it had no oxygen sensor so i installed one and went through three airflow meters cause of the racing air filter i had ( didnt come with a original air box)

So i sold it and got this new one with a new type airflow meter same tyope thats used in a is200 altezza lexus ....

Any ways it runs really well when its not detonating lol....

I hope the dealership resolves this for me and i would be one very happy man .

Revision d cars have tunable ecus but what else can be tuned on them should i get my own odbII software to try and resolve the issue if the dealership denies me ??

/quote]

A possible option for you depending on budget etc. Reflash/Logging/Diag Codes for Liberty/Legacy Rev D (DENSO ECU)

Purchase EZYFLASH unit from here:http://www.ezy-flash.com/products

Purchase additional tune set ROMS from here:http://www.chiptorque.com.au/Ezy-FLASH_Pro.html

A more do it yourself option:

Purchase a OBD II cable http://www.tactrix.com/

Download software EcuFlash:http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2141081/EcuFlash-Tutorial

or RomRaider:http://www.romraider.com/

Once you have your ECU Rom ID ie:A4SH----

Let me know and I can send you the XML so you or your tuner can open the Rom maps for adjustment/tuning

Rev D det is a light throttle det only

Due to the engine not being any real load, this det does not cause bearing issues

A retard of 5deg in the ECU all but cures this issue, and does not make any really noticable issue to full load power

In countries that have lower octane than NZ, a reflash is required as they det at full load

How easy is it to map using this open source software or does one need to have a readily available codes ?

#EcuFlash is easy to use, tuner should not have any problems.

Copy the ECU rom hex file into the EcuFlash program and find out the ECU Rom ID

it should start with A4SH---- Once you have that I can send you the XML (the hex decoder)to use in EcuFlash. This will then open the 2D,3D maps etc.

Im not sure but i am willing to give it a shot .

#OK

Though i am uncertain what type of ODBII cable to get so that i can flash as i have seen the tactrix cable but its like a wireless dongle ?

#The TACTRIX connects the car OBDII port via cable to USB port on your PC.

Im not sure if that what i need to get please could you point me in the right directions?

#Giving it a go.

My other question is my tuner wants to charge me 750 usd and thats not evenfitting a after market ecu just opening my ecu and flashing it ?

I am confiused should it cost this much ?

#Yes for a complete tune may require 30-50 reflashes as you adjust map parameters and run the car on the dyno to see the effect.(adjust reflash-->adjust reflash-->etc)

he says thats including dyno time as well?

#Dyno usually charge approx $150/hr and a tune may require 2-3 hours depending on difficulty and TT are more involved as the ECU runs two boost maps..

#The tuner can 'just' pull the timing for your low 93 octane fuel and should be minimal cost.

Hellow there fellow members.,

I speak to you all from my neighbouring country south africa, glory what a super country not to mention the nice and i mean really nice roads, bar the road works currently going on.

Any ways went to see the tuner and asked about the tuning of the ecu, made him listen to the detonation.

Confirm it was quite bad.

Now problem... he plugged in his tactrix cable and he couldnt get into my ecu for some reason.???

Sure its a denso and it can be mapped lol well at least i think it can be.

So my tuner says that he would much rather go with some water injection to try and curb the detonation as apposed to fixing the problem by pulling back the timing ?

Weird but thats what he says it will be cheaper and easier to fit ?

Now my question what would you all do water injection or pull timing back ?

Why do you think he couldnt get in with the tactrix cable ?

Is there something i should be trying or a way that we dont know of getting into the ecu ?

How easy is it to just pull timing back cause maybe i dont need all this dyno time and mapping etc etc, maybe we can fix this by just pulling timing back and then trying the car out ?

What do you think i hope im not asking for too much advice here but i need some at the moment ....

looking forward to hearing what you all think.

adamsaiyad said:

Hellow there fellow members.,

I speak to you all from my neighbouring country south africa, glory what a super country not to mention the nice and i mean really nice roads, bar the road works currently going on.

Any ways went to see the tuner and asked about the tuning of the ecu, made him listen to the detonation.

Confirm it was quite bad.

Now problem... he plugged in his tactrix cable and he couldnt get into my ecu for some reason.???

Sure its a denso and it can be mapped lol well at least i think it can be.

So my tuner says that he would much rather go with some water injection to try and curb the detonation as apposed to fixing the problem by pulling back the timing ?

Weird but thats what he says it will be cheaper and easier to fit ?

Now my question what would you all do water injection or pull timing back ?

Why do you think he couldnt get in with the tactrix cable ?

Is there something i should be trying or a way that we dont know of getting into the ecu ?

How easy is it to just pull timing back cause maybe i dont need all this dyno time and mapping etc etc, maybe we can fix this by just pulling timing back and then trying the car out ?

What do you think i hope im not asking for too much advice here but i need some at the moment ....

looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Since the tuner has the TACTRIX cable he should be able to access the ECU depending on the program he is using ie:EcuFLASH, ROMRAIDER/Enginuity or EcuEdit.

What he may not be able to do is open the ROMs hex file using a definition set or decoder.

The full definitions for the TT are not readily available. Only the DTC are.

I can supply you with the definition either from the ROM ID ie A4SH-----

You will have to ask the tuner for it.

The ECU case will have an ID as listed ag---

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag440

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag441

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag451

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag850 2581

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag850 2591

These are from EcuTek

Let me know what the ID is.

As for the water injection this may be the way to go, if the timing pull/retard is not sufficient to solve the problem.

Water injection for a road car? You'd need some electronics to control it, and a water tank to feed it... how

long would the water even last for? Sounds like a total pain in the ass. I'd go for the timing myself.

I get, or use to get, bad detonation on my Skyline daily driver, running 98 RON. The detonation was quite bad a light loads. I thought about water injection as well but its too much hassle on a daily driver. I backed the timing off 2 degrees via the OBD port and the detonation is gone. It was an easy fix compared to setting up correctly and then maintaining a water injection system.

BTW, I'm from SA as well now living in Auckland. If you check out the OPENECU forums there are a few South Africans on there with Tactrix cables that might be able to help you out.

Hello Telemakis,

I hope this answer comes back quick enough i only have a few more days here and the chap seems to still be trying to fix his computer/ tactrix cable.

So essentially its not happening and im beggining to think its not going to be done.

So i think i need to try and find another tuner ??? will have a look on the openecu forum.

Now for this rom id thing,

Im a but cxonfuised you need a rom id or i can give you the ecu case id ? to get the definitions set or decoder?

Let me know i am going to take off the ecu cover now to try and get the case id .

Thanks for all your help .

Brilliant stuff.

ECU depending on the program he is using ie:EcuFLASH, ROMRAIDER/Enginuity or EcuEdit.

What he may not be able to do is open the ROMs hex file using a definitioa set or decoder.

The full definitions for the TT are not readily available. Only the DTC are.

I can supply you with the definition either from the ROM ID ie A4SH-----

You will have to ask the tuner for it.

The ECU case will have an ID as listed ag---

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag440

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag441

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag451

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag850 2581

Legacy Twin Turbo - ag850 2591

These are from EcuTek

Let me know what the ID is.

As for the water injection this may be the way to go, if the timing pull/retard is not sufficient to solve the problem.

Hello

Just had a look i took off the ecu cover and looked at the label.

Its written in green.

Says X1 below says

22611AG443

Not sure if this helps will wait to hear from you as i have no idea what to do now ?

Cheers and thankyou once again.

Adam

Hi buddy you are a life saver :) im so glad happy man cant really express my thanks through the post but just know that im chuffed.

My email address is [email protected]

or [email protected]

Hope to get your mail by monday will be greatfull.

Thanks again and i hope this helps loads of other people.

My only question is can this ecu be mapped fully as i have read on alot of forums that it cant be mapped as there is no definition file ?

thanks again!!!! :)