Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1996 WRX Impreza Advice

allycat

Hi All

I amconsidering purhasing a the car mentioned above, it has 233km on the clock looks in decent condition for the age and is all orginal. What should i be aware off at this age milage, the cambelt been done and the gearbox seems okay no signsoff sliping. If the motor does pack up, wht will be the cost of replaci or repairing roughly fo rthose who have done this rom pastexerience?

Thanks,

ally

I just bought a 1996 V3 WRX Wagon, manual, with the same amount of kms for $2500, car goes great with no big issues.

Make sure you check all over the motor for oil leaks - those will be the biggest issue at that age. And do some full lock turns to see if the CV's make any noise.

Also if your wanting a car with abit more grunt, get an STI, normal WRX's arnt that fast. But still great cars for everyday driving.

daxter said:

I just bought a 1996 V3 WRX Wagon, manual, with the same amount of kms for $2500, car goes great with no big issues.

Make sure you check all over the motor for oil leaks - those will be the biggest issue at that age. And do some full lock turns to see if the CV's make any noise.

Also if your wanting a car with abit more grunt, get an STI, normal WRX's arnt that fast. But still great cars for everyday driving.

Great thnx for the advice, you got a good buy, the cheapest i can find at the mo is roughly 4K with same milage.

Guest S T  E Y E

cvs are cheap as chips and easy to replace so dont just not buy it cos it has a clicky CV lol...

oil leaks are easy to fix too man mainly the rocker covers leak onto exhaust manifolds...

and the gearbox cannot "slip"....if there is slip at all that is the clutch

check the gearbox for noises on decelleration and wen down changing gears...also see if it grinds into gears etc and for engine noises

Yeah I got a mean score :D, the guy was sick of people asking to do swap's as he just wanted cash, I pulled the $2500 out of my pocket - he was reluctant to sell it so cheap but took the cash in the end 8)

Yeah I wouldn't worry to much about gearbox slip, just means it needs a new clutch which isn't a real biggie.

Also check the exhaust for white smoke, and check for any discolor on the oil dip stick and under the radiator cap - signs of head-gasket gone.

tbh if you're willing to spend 4k, save up a bit more and buy an STI

S T E Y E said:

cvs are cheap as chips and easy to replace so dont just not buy it cos it has a clicky CV lol...

oil leaks are easy to fix too man mainly the rocker covers leak onto exhaust manifolds...

and the gearbox cannot "slip"....if there is slip at all that is the clutch

check the gearbox for noises on decelleration and wen down changing gears...also see if it grinds into gears etc and for engine noises

Thanx for the advice, sorry meant to say clutch. ;)

daxter said:

Yeah I got a mean score :D, the guy was stick of people asking to do swap's as he just wanted cash, I pulled the $2500 out of my pocket - he was reluctant to sell it so cheap but took the cash in the end 8)

Yeah I wouldn't worry to much about gearbox slip, just means it needs a new clutch which isn't a real biggie.

Also check the exhaust for white smoke, and check for any discolor on the oil dip stick and under the radiator cap - signs of head-gasket gone.

tbh if you're willing to spend 4k, save up a bit more and buy an STI

Cool man, i got max $3.5k cash to spend. So i guess wrx 96/97 will be perfect. I have made two offers so far both declined the offer so will wait and see what happens. Touch wood i get something by dec!

WRX are good cars providing that the maintenance is done regularly. Mine has done more than 200k and still drives like 100k (althought on second engine, the first one was a dud from Japan).

When you go view and test drive the car. Make sure you start them from cold and take it for a drive. Give it a decent boost and get your mate to check out the exhaust gas colour.

You probably should stay away from ones that has got dodgy boost mod and go for original none mod ones.

Good luck

Cost of replacing an engine can be cheap if you buy second hand and do the work yourself, but if you want to rebuild a new engine it can be crazy expensive, I'm up to about 10k on parts for my engine build and its still not built, but that is doing EVERYTHING properly.

If it needs a cambelt (evey 80,000-100,000kms) you can do it yourself for around $600 if you can get trade prices or double that if you pay someone to do it. But pleanty of people around here are willing to help/teach.

My mechanic does cam-belt, water pump, bearings etc, for $900 - that includes parts, labor, gst - Good price if you cant do the work yourself.

Also my WRX is on 235,000kms, still has first engine, going good, no signs of giving up :)

daxter said:

My mechanic does cam-belt, water pump, bearings etc, for $900 - that includes parts, labor, gst - Good price if you cant do the work yourself.

Also my WRX is on 235,000kms, still has first engine, going good, no signs of giving up :)

UH OH now u done it :)

next post will be "what does a BEB sound like " :)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='daxter said:

Also my WRX is on 235,000kms, still has first engine, going good, b]no signs of giving up[/b] :)

UH OH now u done it :)

next post will be "what does a BEB sound like " :)

lol, I should be all right, I don't thrash the balls off it. Hardly ever see's the redline, only mods are turbo back exhaust, and up'd boost to 12 psi.