Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Water To Air Intercooler Upgrading

Hey guys I have started doing my BF up and came across some good parts for cheap I have now got a double core water cooler core out of a 2003 Prius!!!!!

These cars run water cooling systems to cool an inverter rather than an intercooler and are surprisingly quite large!!!!

Size wise it almost fills the entire space that would normally be reserved for a front mount intercooler but with out the cutting and squeezing. I have mounted a length of alloy water pipe to the back and plumbed it back into the left side so it can reach the original hoses (just in case i want it back the way it was)

This takes care of cooling and volume but would like the ability to run the PUMP on a more permanent basis as I have picked up a launch controller for cheap from a friend State side this coupled with a TD05 leaving water to air standard is asking for trouble and want to cool intake charge before launch while at a stand still.

I have already asked this and was told it would give minimal static gains on factory setup but with the increase in water volume .75L and cooling (double cored instead of single) im thinking that has changed

I guess I want to know will the pump take sustained periods of constant running and if not can some one recommend a pump. I have looked at the Prius and it has a nice water pump that runs alot more and for longer periods than the Subaru one in the front guard but it looks smaller and plastic.

Any thoughts on this would be great would love to get away with running the standard one.

Finally before any replies please bear in mind that the pump should be running cooler any way with the increase in water volume and (by my theory anyway) should be more likely to run constant with what I have done than on a factory water volume.

Who knows how long the pump will run for, I have one reconditioned to replace when the fitted one runs out.

MRT used to offer a double core heat exchanger and high flow pump.

You can also wire the pump to run on High constantly as it has a HI/LO speed setting that is triggered by 5 seconds of WOT.

I will be modifying the setup in the future but concentrating on the alloy cast pipe from the Turbo to the cooler.

On an untouched setup I would not push more than 1 bar with a TD05.

BC5RA said:

Who knows how long the pump will run for, I have one reconditioned to replace when the fitted one runs out.

You can also wire the pump to run on High constantly as it has a HI/LO speed setting that is triggered by 5 seconds of WOT.

I will be modifying the setup in the future but concentrating on the alloy cast pipe from the Turbo to the cooler.

I have a stainless pipe that goes from the turbo to the cooler if u interested

DRFVDR']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

/quote]

I have a stainless pipe that goes from the turbo to the cooler if u interested

Is that the one your son made?

I'm talking about after the plastic pipe, the actual alloy hard pipe.

By keeping my water to air and uprating the water radiator and increasing volume I have managed to have an intercooler that is not huge but far more efficient than if I just replaced it with a air to air. This has been proven on not just Subarus, Toyota Celicas and also in Commercial Truck Use.

Cost Keeps Manufacturers From Using Them Freely On any Make or Model

Intercoolers that are cooled by water can be 1/3 to a 1/4 of the size of air to air intercoolers.

This means that I can have the all the advantages of an intercooler 4 times the size without cutting bumper bars and running hideous amounts of piping that adds lag.

Also unlike an air to air you can always increase cooling potential in lots of ways I.E water reserve tanks full of Ice water. (this is extreme measures for drag racing and in some case will powder coat the intercooler cores before welding water tanks round them so they can add SALT to the ICE water as well providing even better cooling.

Im not trying to run down air to air intercoolers either as once the car is rolling with an air to air the air speed increases as the vehicle accelerates increasing cooling the faster you go etc etc etc can spray water etc etc etc blah blah blah.

Short story WATER TO AIR Ticks all the boxes for my DAILY DRIVEN car.