Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Autowatch alarm

Hey,

I've recently bought a 96 Subaru Legacy and the alarm in it is playing up. When armed at night every now and then it makes a high pitched noise. The alarm isn't going off but there is just a constant noise (not loud but noticeable)

Also when arming and disarming now it sounds like the noise is distorting? no idea on what could do this it was working fine for the last two days

Any advice is appreciated thanks :)

The alarm brand is Autowatch 446RLi Premium

have you checked all wiring around the unit itself?

When you have bonnet open and this noise is going does this make a diff? Can you discern more in this way?

Id just be on the lookout for cheap alarm installs with a reputable brand ie mongoose, uniden or whatever

found out today its still under its 2 year warranty so I think I will ring them up and get them to sort it out old owner says he never had problems with the alarm before so not sure how much would it cost to get the alarm replaced do you think?

Also opening the bonnet doesn't change the noises.

BLAZD']

[quote name='Freak Boy said:

sounds like a budget piece of s**t upgrade and sleep easy ;D

/quote]

lolol there actually one of the best on the market

+1

Guest Freak Boy
 BLAZD']

/quote]

cant say ive heard of them before so cant be that good

ive heard of them before never tried them have some unique features like keypad code. you dissarm alarm with remote then to deactivate the immobiliser you need to punch in a # digit code(good for if theif gets ahold of your keys with the remote).

i think the reason you havent heard about them is that they prefer there own authorised installers to install there alarm so its not an off the shelf and installed by anyone product, so you would only really hear about them from there authorised installers, website and the marketing which ive only seen them at big boys toy, the motorshow, carshows etc..

maybe those who have tried autowatch alarms can give there experiences with them?

Freak Boy']

/quote]

cant say ive heard of them before so cant be that good

lol worked for a car audio shop .....

they eat mongoose alive, such clever alarms

+1

to all commments above. any siren that requires an over-ride key to disable is just asking for fail. so that rules out 90% of them offered in NZ.

autowatch and cobra are the only ones that use proper digital battery backup sirens that communicate with the alarm. and allow the sirens to be properly hidden, and there are no over-ride keys.

i only use dynatron as i source them cheaply... i.e. less than half rrp. but like most mainstream ones they are cheap chinese rubbish.

Autowatch are excellent alarms. As above, they have digital battery backup, however I had the same problem with mine when it was installed. The siren would start crackling and then one night it just started going off. Then it started making a very quiet alarm sound. Turned out it was a faulty siren and water had got in to the housing. Replaced under warranty (thanks Julian @ Obsessive) and never had a problem since.

What was the remedy?

Since I install Dynatron and have AVS in my other car. I know how easy it is to bypass them both!!

The above units are mainy for the convenience of remote central locking, since most modern jap cars lack that feature from factory.

However I've found them both better than Mongoose and Meridian (which always crap out).

After reading those blogs I'd be suggesting Autowatch to anyone asking about an alarm.