Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Potential V7 STi engine into a V2

deathz0r

deathz0r']

Jase, where were you when i was doing my one?

Lollol

Didn't have a coffee machine then, and you did yours during work hours...

[quote name='deathz0r said:

Yup VF30, will be a complete V7 stock conversion

That's an excellent mod on the older GC/GF's!

Hmmmm....I'm gonna have to get my a-into-g, and suss out a suitable motor for my car. The G4 should run the AVCS heads - so my job will be a lot easier, no major re-looming anyway! Just extra wires to the solenoids.

xecuta']

i got ver7sti heads forsale

A rebuild maybe in order then, since I'm already using a Phase 2 shortblock

[quote name='xecuta said:

some useful info i gathered when i was doing my wiring

url=http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t141937-brydon-teaches-you-merge-harness.html]http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t141937-brydon-teaches-you-merge-harness.html[/url] <<< give this a quick read, and print it out

Description - WRX pin location -

............................................................................................

Just had a read through that thread, when you sit down with a few cold beers on a nice sunny day; it doesn't seem that complex - keeping the loom tidy would be the hard part!

xecuta said:

Link is over rated.

Depending on what your long term goal is with the car.

If you were planning on running ab igger turbo etc at a later date and doing a few bits and pieces say tracking it and wanted/needed all the functions of a link then now would be the time to do it.

Obviously htis isnt the case so the factory ecu will do it and given Sans the man then youl be all good

Links are FTW i reckon...costs a bit more but heapppsss of benefits haha

man u sounds like Aaron, when i asked about tuning my unichip and reflashing....

but yeah for what i want from the car Link is over rated for my mod... i only wanting 220-240kw a reflash is good enough.. anything more i would put forged rods and maybe pistons?

i pretty much got everthing i need in my garage to build a 250kw+ engine apart from the link... just need work to pick up again to finish my car off

i can only see 2 benefits... easier to tune and no AFM

It has been shown that a Ver 7 sti ecu can be flashed to obtain ~250kW with minimal mods. The Link is good on older cars prior to a V7, where reflashing of factory ecu isn't possible.

Thinking back now the ~$2k spent on the G4 & tune could be better spent on other mods. If I had a V 7/8 ecu & loom at the time, I prob wouldn't have got the link.

Or if one cannot be bothered re-looming their car...

what ever jase hahah! i dont think you'll do AVCS mods, cause you prefer to listen to other people what to do with your car... i think you were waiting for me to do the mods first and see how it go.. never too late, you got apretty good short block, i got the heads, and ecu... looms is easy to get nowaday... getting so common now seeing GDB being wrecked

hmmm was just going through the pinout on the G4 Storm... looks easier then i thought... only 34 pins... its like installing head units with dvd players and tv or a top of the line car alarm unit... those got more pins/wirings then the Storm!!!

Sean is there any chance u can get another ver1/2 harness for me to play with? just want to see what wires i need to merge together

If you wanted to run it off a G3, I may know of one for around a $1000, Its one thats not for sale on the market but If sombody had the cash I'm sure he would sell.

Links are relaitvly easy to wire. I prefer dealing with a wire in then making a stock loom work as you never know what sombody else has done in the loom. But I'm redoing the whole way everything to do with the EFI side of things is done to simplify and know how everything is done as there is nothing worse then chasing your tail for days on a dodgy join made by a 3rd party.. I'v had that before on the only car I did a wire in by the ECU plug.. Never again will I take that risk again, as I don't like having to give a bill for a job that I wouldn't of had to do if I had done a full loom.

Best of luck with the wiring..

shouldnt be too hard dont need any luck... just need common since and patient... some people wouldnt tackle this project cause of lack of confident

$1k for a G3 is a really good price they are a lot easier to wire up and a few more $$$ can get the G4 storm... this project as same as my one is build on a budget from all the information gather around the world... if my druggy mate can put a skyline motor in a cefi then this shouldnt be too hard as well

like i keep saying... you dont learn anything if you keep paying someone else to it for you but there are things that you need expert to do

Thanks Geoff and San.

But yeah - I would of gone the Link way if the project wasn't done on a budget; read - $0. $1k for a G3 is a very good price but I do agree with San - if ya spending that much already, might as well get a G4 AND THEN theres the tune on top of that.

It shall be a fun learning experience, hopefully this thing will be a bit of a beast once it's done. Although I'm a little gutted reflashing is so expensive.

Out of interest what does a re-flash cost these days?

I've done a similar conversion to mine except I went with a Link G4, was about $800 to get it tuned.

But at least doing it your way you don't HAVE to get a re-flash. Where as if you used a Link you pretty much HAVE to get a tune, unless you are confident at road tuning it yourself.

roading tuning for reflashing cost $450-500.00 im not sure what system they using probably COBB or EVOSCAN or ECUFLASH program?

STM charges $1300.00 they are very experience and getting lots of good number from 220-240kw after reflashed i been told

simon got his reflash from Garry for $1000 which including other things that was needed to be done also

another guy in feilding also doing it at the same as GC thats including road tuning afterward

Shred hasnt given me any price but they are a lot cheaper the STM im sure cause the connection with ClubSub? GETLOW is the best person to talk to about that

$800.00 for a dyno tune is a good price to be honest but then u have to folk out $2200 for the plug in ecu or somewhere around $1300 for a wired in storm which looks easy to do also

at the end of the day is power/cost or cost over power.. reflashing works well and cheapest option

there are advantaged using G4 one big advantage for the tuner is that is easier to tune and less time to tune it... reflashing can take twice as long

Dv8er - FSTWRX']

I've done a similar conversion to mine except I went with a Link G4, was about $800 to get it tuned.

But at least doing it your way you don't HAVE to get a re-flash. Where as if you used a Link you pretty much HAVE to get a tune, unless you are confident at road tuning it yourself.

may i ask who did your tuning and worked on your wiring?

these are the information i been told[quote name='Dv8er - FSTWRX said:

It will be a fun project. Iv spent way too much time and money on my own car.. The main thing you have to hope for is you don't do things twice as thats wasted money, somthing I have done plenty of myself.. But you have got plenty of experianced people to put you in the right direction with parts

I can't give you a price on a reflash, you would need to talk to Aaron. I know we try to avoid them as they are very time consuming and frustrating as you have to keep turning the car off and on etc and the overall results and control VS the cost of the tune don't stack up in our eyes.

We are just very particular with how we build and tune cars, as at the end of the day.. if somthing gos wrong people are quick to blame the tuner. We also like to be happy with the job we have done.

So I know it can be frustrating to people that we refuse to tune certain brands of ECUs. Its all down to the overall result that we want to be happy with.

a car can run 220kw on most ECUs, but if it drives like a sack on all throttle postions apart from WOT then thats what were not interested in doing. Jasons G1 would be a good example of this, it only had 6 rows of tuning cells. made alright power, but fuel econamy and drivability was terriable.

to give you a rough idea on a typical G4 install

Most plug ins are 1890, then you have boost soliniod $100 and air temp sensor $100.

ECU and sensor/switch install approx $200

Tune $800-1000

G4 Stom is $1870ish

Wire in labour and parts are between $800-1200 including parts in most cases, but you save the $200 ECU install charge then a tune

PS all prices Im talking are inclusive of GST haha

pretty good pricing... yeah every tuner said same thing about reflashing

thanks for the head up with the prices on teh G4

At least Sean's wiring is stock. Untouched by previous owner. Easier to work with.

When I do alarms and stereo's I prefer not to have to deal with chopped wires or previous dodgy installs. I've seen plenty over the years.

spark_38 said:

At least Sean's wiring is stock. Untouched by previous owner. Easier to work with.

When I do alarms and stereo's I prefer not to have to deal with chopped wires or previous dodgy installs. I've seen plenty over the years.

What are you trying to say about my stereo wiring of awesomeness? :P

xecuta said:

may i ask who did your tuning and worked on your wiring?

Car was tuned by Gary Capper. I bought an adapter loom from another company to go from the Ver5 loom to the G4 at the ECU end, but it never came with a wiring diagram or anything and when I checked over the wiring there were a few things wrong with it anyway, may as well have done it myself. Re-wired the engine side of things myself (Ver8 engine to Ver5 loom), also AVCS, boost solenoid, air temp etc.

If I did it again I'd probably not do it this way, was a lot of mucking around going from Ver8 engine to Ver5 loom to G4 adapter loom and then separate loom for AVCS. Probably better off making whole new looms and wiring the engine straight to the G4. Would be super tidy this way as well.

• 4 weeks later...