Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

is it a significant upgrade ??

Pappu1

Simon C said:

Don't know why people compare the boost of one turbo to another. It's apples and oranges. 16psi on a TD04 can't be compared to 16psi on a GT3071R. And just because a turbo can hold boost to redline doesn't mean it's not just blowing hot air. Best comparison is compressor map overlays.

disagree with the first part and agree with the rest. you can compare boost as far as response goes psi vs psi. turbos of the size we're talking about tend to enter their efficiency range around 1bar so comparing turbo vs turbo vs rpm is totally feesible. obviously the power output between two turbos will be completely different which is where i agree with the rest of what you said

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll disagree with you there. If you want to compare response, then compare flow at given RPMs rather than boost. We should be talking CFM or m3/s, not PSI. PSI-PSI comparison only applies to very similarly sized turbos - hardly a useful tool when we're talking about "a significant upgrade".

flow at rpm is impossible to calculate. psi at rpm is very simple off of a dyno plot, or even just driving the car. ofcourse it's not scientific as like you say flow is different between turbos at the same psi. but measuring at what point a turbo hits 14psi or so is when it's likely to be "coming alive"

i am not one to argue but they are a good turbo i dont know wat is out there in the price range but they go good as i said responsive and strong pull on boost in my opinion worth every cent and is a better turbo than standard.

vorigan said:

like ive said many times the turbo is only a small part of the picture

I can only assume that all these discussions are based on all supporting mods done and proper big bore exhaust system in place .....

Unless Ppl are trying to upgrade turbos and all on stock setup ??? ???

pappu']

[quote name='vorigan said:

like ive said many times the turbo is only a small part of the picture

/quote]

I can only assume that all these discussions are based on all supporting mods done and proper big bore exhaust system in place .....

Unless Ppl are trying to upgrade turbos and all on stock setup ??? ???

whats been said in the last 4 pages goes on and on and on and on and it all comes back to the same thing, there is no defined answer you need to work with any combo to get the best from it and thats covers shit loads of things so take your pick, thus when i get the time ill do a time frame on a sti from the down falls to the big gains which didnt come easy.

At the end of the day the engine desides what your going to get.

Hahaha Tru so Tru

Hopefully u get some time soon and enlighten us bi more

Off topic slightly but Damm how can they price the Chinese turbos so low hahha makes me think what type of metal they use

pappu said:

Hahaha Tru so Tru

Hopefully u get some time soon and enlighten us bi more

Off topic slightly but Damm how can they price the Chinese turbos so low hahha makes me think what type of metal they use

How to sum up chinese turbos, why dont they come with compressor maps? gez i wonder why

And before its said testing on the car isnt they way to tell how the turbos output realy is, it tells you how much power the motor makes as we all know theres many things that contribute to making power.

They should be tested on a turbine power test bed to which if its still on youtube have a look what happened to holsets test bench when they put a chinese turbo thru its paces, looks cool they didn think it was too funny.

Aren't these dsr ones spose to be 2nd gen not the shit ones they started with that were only dsr stamped.mines running with extractors nd full 3" stainless. YouTube link please that sounds like a goody.