Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ej22 knoledge please

rex-leggy

so i have a couple of options with the build im planing and wondered if anyone has any knowledge about the early bc/bf ej22 engines.

im wondering weather they followed the block design of the ej20 and used a closed deck block? or did they have open decks that were isolated to the 2.2l.

i have a 2.2 lined up for wat seams to me a very good price but if its open deck a may look into boring out a 2l block from 92mm bore to 96.9. or it that to much to bore?

im sure ive head of people boring out a 2l closed deck to 99.5 to have a 2.5 closed deck but i may be wrong because of the thickness of the cylinder wall?

any input would be appreciated :)

Stoffa said:

centre thrust closed deck as far as I know, throw in a 2.5 crank and you've got 2.35 ....awesome

yea i have 2 2.5 cranks ;) one out of a 250t which has the wrong big end size i think and the other of optical which has the 2l big end size but is rear thrust i think ( need to research whether the thrust is dependent on the block or also the crank)

if its closed deck then it would be silly not to get it . long block delivered from otago to chch for $250.......

When you say the wrong big end size, do you mean its 48mm instead of 52mm. Cos' all centre thrust cranks are 48mm big ends so you need a custom spec rod to able to build a 2.35. with 48mm big ends and shorter so you can use an off the shelf 96mm?? (or whatever the 2.2's use stock).

Or find a stock sized forged rod (48mm B.E) and get a custom set of pistons made with the correct pin off set so the pistons dont sit higher than the deck height. But from what I've heard you may have trouble with rods having clearance issues if your pistons have big skirts.

Or you could use the rear thrust crank and get your block converted to rear thrust but from talking to a few engine builders, no one I've talked to was really that keen on doing it. But the rear thrust cranks do have a bigger bearing face on the thrust bearing

This info is all from what I've read on the internet so soem of it may be incorrect, but I think thats right

yea the block im getting is a early center thrust block (closed deck i believe)

the crank i acquired had the same bigend size as the 2l (52mm) so rods are easy , either the v7 rods i have or get some h-beams.

the tricky thing is as you say ,the rear thrust so something will have to be done there unless im lucky and receive the rare and never seen duel thrust crank (i doubt it :D).

i have heard of somone running a dual thrust setup tho.

so either get block machined to accept rear thrust crank or get the center of the crank build up to allow for center thrust.

pistons i know wiseco do a conversion set that has everything correct but just have to find out what head gasket to use to get the correct cr i want .

should be fun . i could find a 2.2 rear thrust block but for the $$ i could get the block machined and come out with a closed deck anyway.subie-smiley.gif