Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Legacy, front pipe + tips or CBE?

maanh86

I'm after a small power upgrade for my BP and want that sweet boxer rumble sound ;)

I stumbled upon this front pipe upgrade that subtech do, however they said that while it gives power gains it doesn't provide the rumble sound.

Wondering if its possible to upgrade from the stock mufflers for sound with the front pipe attached or would that be somehow incompatible?

Also with CBE, I've heard that they won't do much without a tune - you'd just be paying for sound?

Cheers

I run this subtech pipe on my STi smoker (05 BP)

You wont get boxer rumble from a JDM BP/BL because they come from factory with equal length headers.

Exhaust mods cant change this. Replacing headers from EL to UEL will but they are EL for a reason. Better design.

If you want to run lean and destroy your engine then do exhaust mods without a retune.

Otherwise since the ECU struggles compensating for so much new flow with say a new free flow air filter and larger downpipe with no cat and bigger bore exhaust it must be remapped to accomodate new levels.

My car has been tuned remotely from a well known Subaru tuner in California.

webup said:

You wont get boxer rumble from a JDM BP/BL because they come from factory with equal length headers.

Exhaust mods cant change this. Replacing headers from EL to UEL will but they are EL for a reason. Better design.

If you want to run lean and destroy your engine then do exhaust mods without a retune.

Otherwise since the ECU struggles compensating for so much new flow with say a new free flow air filter and larger downpipe with no cat and bigger bore exhaust it must be remapped to accomodate new levels.

Well said...Change anything,,,,,Change the tune.............Or eventually destroy ya toy!

webup said:

Hmm right.

I've seen some vids with aftermarket exhaust mods for the bps, they sound good enough rumble or not.

I'm really after that nice deep sound with some power.

Any noticable change with the frontpipe vs stock performance and sound wise?

Did you get a dyno before/after?

Going by your words a tune is required after fitting it even though its not a CBE mod?

maanh86']

[quote name='webup said:

/quote]

Hmm right.

I've seen some vids with aftermarket exhaust mods for the bps, they sound good enough rumble or not.

I'm really after that nice deep sound with some power.

Any noticable change with the frontpipe vs stock performance and sound wise?

Did you get a dyno before/after?

Going by your words a tune is required after fitting it even though its not a CBE mod?

What you will have seeen is USDM Legacies which came with UEL.

If your car is a jap import it will come with EL headers and again you will only get it by replacing the headers and all that mucking around to get less performance but the Subaru rumble.

was it running lean tho as stated in your earlier post?

i have not logged a bp model before but every single impreza i have logged shows rich even with free flow exhaust

mostly based on 00-04 impreza which is abt the same year a s a 03 bp..

anyway , just wondering if bp was in fact lean

in impreza range, most corrections are for intake mods and especially bov

exhaust dont seem to vary the corrections too much...

maybe the bp have some other wierd setup that leans thing??? thats if u saw lean on ur logging?

Yeah, I would question your car if it was running lean due to an exhaust... I believe you would need to have a wideband to actually know if it was running lean.

An exhaust doesn't require a retune. A retune is recommended to take advantage of the exhaust though.

Go for a full exhaust if you can stretch for it, upgrade the intercooler and then retune. There is always plenty of play room in a factory tune.

Depends on you budget really, do as much as you can afford then retune it.

I would be interested to see the ECU logs of before/after exhaust upgrade if there are any problems.

Fastfour']

[quote name='pappu said:

i have not logged a bp model before

/quote]

Enough said. Don't need to post you opinion when it's not based on any facts or evidence.

Lol

All im saying is it should not run lean with an exhaust mid

U can retune it To get more out from the exhaust but in stock form it should not go lean

Asking cos if the webup guy had done logs and was leaning then something for all to be concerned abt as far as bp models go

If I had done bp logging Wud hVe stated weather was lean or not

I can only speak for what the gd impreza do but no harm in learning abt other models like bp and their setup