Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

97 RSB GBOX MUNTED?

so heres the scene. cousins rsb got a bit of an issue. reverse gear seems to be playing up but in a weird way. if you reverse using the clutch without braking everything is sweet. as soon as you just pat the brakes the car jams and stops like you slammed the brakes. then it doesnt wanna reverse again if i dont take it out of gear. as soon as i take it out of gear and then put back in it reverses once again but then the same scene occurs if i use the brakes. going in reverse there is a periodic clunking noise coming from the front of the car. forward gears are fine. im thinking its either centre diff or gbox as rear diff seems fine to me :-/ im thinking of draining the trans oil to check for traces of the reverse gear.am i right in doing this?

any help much appreciated

cheers

I'd say you're on the right track, if it's only reverse... does he do reverse doughies?

Interesting...

Don't take my word for it though, I haven't had the same experiences alot of the other guys on this forum have, and they may know a lot more than me.

94 Leone said:

I'd say you're on the right track, if it's only reverse... does he do reverse doughies?

Interesting...

Don't take my word for it though, I haven't had the same experiences alot of the other guys on this forum have, and they may know a lot more than me.

nah man hes sensible not like me lol haha

hand-brakies?

To me it sounds like its worn. Is it really loud, and terrible in reverse?

If so, drain the fluid, but check the bung when you take it out, see how much metal filings are there.

I'm not sure if you can replace a single gear, so he's probably looking at a gearbox change.

I believe I saw one on tademe for around alot, the most difficult thing is the ratios, but My dad and I took a 1600 leone RX hi-lo ratio 4wd box, and put it into an 1800 4WD leone, and it ran fine.

But if you want all that lovey dovey electronicy stuff, you may want the real mcCoy from something of the same model number.

note on centre-diff: has your brother ever put in the fuse for FWD that is on the drivers side with a little 'FWD' writtten on it's little black box, if so, It is likely the centre diff is gone.. though it is probably something the previous owners caused, but your brother never knew about, and now it slowly gets worse and worse.

It could be many problems...

The reverse gear is probably chewed up though.

-But check before you assume it's a problem. otherwise he'll be throwing his money at a hole.

its actually happened very recently. this last weekend when we went for a little trip. i dont think it ever felt like it was leading to this. really out of the blue. we gonna change oil again this weekend and see how that goes and see if theres any filings.

as for the FWD fuse i honestly have no clue whatsoever on what you are on about lol haha

cheers for all the help :D will try some more diagnosing

94 Leone said:

hand-brakies?

If so, drain the fluid, but check the bung when you take it out, see how much metal filings are there.

I'm not sure if you can replace a single gear, so he's probably looking at a gearbox change.

I believe I saw one on tademe for around alot, the most difficult thing is the ratios, but My dad and I took a 1600 leone RX hi-lo ratio 4wd box, and put it into an 1800 4WD leone, and it ran fine.

But if you want all that lovey dovey electronicy stuff, you may want the real mcCoy from something of the same model number.

note on centre-diff: has your brother ever put in the fuse for FWD that is on the drivers side with a little 'FWD' writtten on it's little black box, if so, It is likely the centre diff is gone.. though it is probably something the previous owners caused, but your brother never knew about, and now it slowly gets worse and worse.

It could be many problems...

The reverse gear is probably chewed up though.

-But check before you assume it's a problem. otherwise he'll be throwing his money at a hole.

just a couple of things worth a mention, worn reverse is unlikely, it would be crunchy-as. also the reverse gears in a subaru manual gearbox are not quite the same as the forward driven gears, the 1st/2nd sliding selector ring has teeth and makes up part of the 3-gear reverse set. replacing that and the intermediate gear is fairly simple but the input side is part of the shaft, and somewhat pricey new.

FWD fuse for towing : you'll only find this on an automatic

kamineko']

[quote name='94 Leone said:

hand-brakies?

/quote]

just a couple of things worth a mention, worn reverse is unlikely, it would be crunchy-as. also the reverse gears in a subaru manual gearbox are not quite the same as the forward driven gears, the 1st/2nd sliding selector ring has teeth and makes up part of the 3-gear reverse set. replacing that and the intermediate gear is fairly simple but the input side is part of the shaft, and somewhat pricey new.

FWD fuse for towing : you'll only find this on an automatic

ah, Interesting- learn something new every day-not just because I had school. T.T

@the Fuse-you'd think I'd have noticed the lack of it on my bh5 lol...

Ichi Ban']

loose brake caliper - check all mounting bolts

you were CORRECT :D it was actually missing :o :O :o last person that worked on the car was MT performance? or MTR :-/

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

loose brake caliper - check all mounting bolts

/quote]

+1 caliper will prol be coming out and contacting the inner of the rim. Look if it has and scrapes or gouges out of the inside bit fo the mags/rims.

and unfortunately you're correct as well. hes got some real nice gouge marks :-/

overall good outcome :D very happy