Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Swapping Engines

HURRIx

I've got a 97 GT with an EJ20R that has big end type knocking sounds and a 94 GT with an EJ20H with broken chassis type issues

so I am about to transplant the good motor into the good chassis. Other than the engine itself what else will I need to take out of the donor car? as this is my daily driver & sio I need to get the job done as quickly & simply as possible. In between the engine coming out the donor car & being put in the new shell I will be replacing the timing belts head gaskets water pump etc

all intelligent advice will be most gratefully appreciated =)

ps. don't suggest a single turbo conversion, I'm quite happy with the TTs & I don't need an excuse burn any more gas, 80-100L of 98 is already quite enough =D

how do ya feel about replacing headgaskets?

possibly you could use the 94 shortblock everything else from the 97?

as long as compression etc is the same throughout models

all other ways seem horrible with relooming to match the ecu from the 94

not the first head gasket job I've done (although the others weren't on subies), I've also got the haynes manual for leggies betwen 90 & 98 as my bible for this job so I'm going to be doing work my self

but I do like the idea of just swapping blocks over it did cross my mind while writing this post last night, would I be right in assuming that most of the differences between the EJ20H & EJ20R is in the heads & that which attaches to the block, don't really want to replace the looms as the 94 is an auto & the 97 is a manual although & have a manual computer(7c) & afm(blue one) out of a 96 GT wag

will go look at some magic evil tech specs on the two & consult a few of mechanics who share the boxter addiction =)

I do note that your project started out in similar fashion to mine except my start point was the 94 TT auto wagon still in factory trim except for my trusty pioneer sound system which has now outlasted 4 cars =P, the 97 was a steal & a half as its already got a sexy set of DTM 17's a nice sounding big bore & best of all a manual =)

yeah both BGs since my last post have been talking to a wise old sir who suggested that I just replace the bearings on the EJ20R & leave the EJ20H intact & sell it to finance the rebuild =D

photos can be found in following FB gallery

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2907240167703.145820.1461522555&type=1&l=2083bb6d16

the 94(green) is sitting on 17s with JIC Magic adjusties (not certed=P)

the 97(white) is on DTM 17s with standard Blistien suspension

I'll keep a written & photo diary of the escapade posted here =D

I'm down in christchurch but thanks for the offer have a couple of pet mechanics down this way as it is so should be able to get things sorted =)

in regards to the crank I have no Idea, seeing as when I bought the GTB it was for the rolling body & I had planned on "just dropping my engine in" thus I didn't ask when I picked up the car it was out of oil, gas & drove for about 500 m before it was obvious that it wasn't going to make the 60+km drive back to my place. the engine still cranks over & in those 500m it was "ok" till primary turbo started spooling up & by 3000rpm it was sounding painful, at idle the the whole car was shaking.

On first inspection under the hood we noted that a; the engine bay had been steam cleaned & a nasty patch on the under side of the bonnet just above the oil filler, the young guy I bought it off had only owned it for 2 months with the owner before him having owned it for about 12 months & having put 40K on the clock, which is similar Ks to what I did in the 94 GT in the same time frame

by the looks of things I get the feeling that the fine young gentleman who did 90% of the damage was your classic boyracer using every set of lights as a 1/4mile & using every possible excuse to blow his skank whistle (bov)