Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

In car Lap Timers

Johnny, one thing that lap timers are not, is cheap (unfortunately).

The one in that link is only the actual in-car part, so you would need the actual beacon which you chuck on the pit wall - which if you buy off that guy is another $110 :(

Sometimes they pop up 2nd hand, but not that regularly.

I have used the AIM timers and they are really nice - but also very expensive. I was borrowing the bro-in-laws one, but now his car is finished I had to give it back! BT also uses on of them - he could probably fill you in on where to buy one from.

I am currently using an old "Hot Lap" timer, but my beacon has had a hard lif and sometimes does not pick up when I go past it! So no real point using it really!

For actual race meetings we use transponders which are triggered off a loop in the track, but these do not have an in-car display, so you have to wait until the end of the race to check the results sheets to see your times. These are hired to competitors at race meetings (unless you own your own).

• General Member

Thanks for that Tony

I have a mate using a similar set up to the tradme link on his bike and I might be able to get my hands on for $100 a box and a real nice smile lol. That was the main reason im contemplating it.

Im not getting out enough to want one at that trademe price just yet.

But its all good research in the mean time.

Yeh definately $100 is a BARGAIN!!

I use the same one you have linked there.

They are REALLY good. Super compact and easy to use. The batteries last for ever and the auto on/off functions are great too. (alot is going on before getting out on the track and its easy to forget to turn them on... I just left the sationary IR on all the time, all day.

Well worth the $365. I got mine of Ebay for less than but that was 4 years ago.

I have gone the cheaper way, and got a manual 50 lap timer. In lieu of an IR beacon, I hit the lap button when I pass the start/finish line. Last lap time freezes for 15 seconds into the next lap.

This, too, was $100.

Recording method is pencil and paper at the track, onto PC at home. I can relive the event many many times.

• General Member

Alright let the work on him begin then ha ha.

He just upgraded from a 400 to a 600 and the 600 already had a lap timer so he said he might throw it my way for a hundred bucks.

Might have to go take it off the bike tommorow before anyone else gets there filthy mits on it.