Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

loss of power while accelerating

hey guys

this is my 1st post in a couple of years im a bit of a noob so pls bear with me

i own a 96 Legacy GT

ok so im driving along fine at 60km but as i soon as i hit the motorway & put my foot down instead of taking off the car accelerates very slowly. it gets up to speed if i press the accelerator slowly but as soon as I press down hard it feels laggy as hell & theres no power.

ever since ive had the car theres been this strange loud siren/whistling like noise coming from the turbos when boosting. could the turbos have packed it in?

could it be the intercooler or AFM? my first thought was that it could be dodgy fuel since i had just filled up before i noticed the problem but thats probly being stupid.

oh yeah the check engine light also comes on

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Dunno exactly depends on what you find from the CEL code, but could also be a fuel issue...had the same prob on a car o'mine some time ago and it was the fuel pump starving the injectors of enough juice...

But as Arsenal pointed out, check the CEL and then go from there.....

As regards the whistling under boost, could be a leak of some sort. Check all your vacuum/boost lines and make sure all the hose clamps are done up well....also, I believe the factory BOVs can also get a bit leaky as well...I'm sure someone on here may be able to shed more light on this.

i tried following the directions to get CEL code but im a total noob so wasnt sure what to do.ill try again in the weekend.

anyways i just took it out for another spin & the strange thing is I cant hear the turbos at all now. it used to have a loud whiny noise. now there's nothing

when i step on the gas it feels like im driving a non turbo. it still accelerates but its alot slower & theres no sudden acceleration like when the turbo kicks in

would the engine still work sweet if the turbos were f***ed? would it cause any harm to keep driving it?

would probly be appreiciated if you only post the same thread in one topic not two. :P

cant help with ur situation though, sorry

-smurff

drnkaz said:

i tried following the directions to get CEL code but im a total noob so wasnt sure what to do.ill try again in the weekend.

anyways i just took it out for another spin & the strange thing is I cant hear the turbos at all now. it used to have a loud whiny noise. now there's nothing

when i step on the gas it feels like im driving a non turbo. it still accelerates but its alot slower & theres no sudden acceleration like when the turbo kicks in

would the engine still work sweet if the turbos were f***ed? would it cause any harm to keep driving it?

Where did you get up to in the CEL code procedure?

Once you've found the black ECU connectors and connected them together, turn on the ignition and watch as the CHECK ENGLINE LIGHT on the dash will flash out the fault code. Count the flashes and post back here. P.S Don't forget to unplug the BLACK connectors when you're done!

i finally did the CEL procedure & got the fault code. its 66 which = sequential turbo system!!

i think my primary turbo must be rooted since its been making a whiny noise for the past year & now its not making any noise at all. there's still no boost so that must be it :(

drnkaz said:

i finally did the CEL procedure & got the fault code. its 66 which = sequential turbo system!!

i think my primary turbo must be rooted since its been making a whiny noise for the past year & now its not making any noise at all. there's still no boost so that must be it :(

Actually 66 is the most nondescript code you can pull. I also have this code right now and have found an older thread on the subject.

Ichi Ban says "most 66's are caused by failure of secondary BOV, they develop a vac leak internally (this triggers CEL when the vac tank empties out when under load) ie no engine vac

Primary BOV failure will also cause this code, and the car will only have a small amount of boost (4-5 psi normally)

Primary turbo wastegate seizing is another primary cause for 66

Some other items you need to check

Vac tank - is it still there or has some pannel beater thrown it away

Hose to vac tank - check it for leaks, often is damaged in small frontal impacts

Good luck -- The secrets are out"

Might help you too.

well its official the primary turbo was fucked

its been replaced & going better than ever ;D

thx for the advice guys