Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 sti RA - any help or ideas?

was going to pick up a mate on friday, when my car decided to pack a sad :'(. Has been running brilliantly for so long now and never experienced these symptoms before now >:(. any help or ideas on how to fix would be appreciated. ;D

when i was pulling up to an intersection, i put my foot on the clutch and the revs dropped really low, like it was going to stall out then bounced up to normal and repeated that until it evened out around 900rpm but when i went to take off again it was really hesitant, like it didnt want to go and was quite smoky. it did that for the next couple of traffic lights, and i managed to get to my mate (who knows more than me about subys). but as soon as i got there it stopped doing it.

i got almost all the way home without it doing it again until going down my road it started again but because it was dark i just parked it up and left it until today.

when i got in it today the whole morning it was fine. then around lunchtime it started shuddering (like jerking) under boost, so i thought it might be the intercooler piping. so pulled over and checked that. but that was all fine. i then organised to take it to my cousin so he could have a proper look at it but on the way there, going up a hill it was really shaking without the turbo even spooling properly. and half way up the hill it just cut out. but it started back up again and we made it up the hill and to his workshop.

it now has a small mis-fire every 5 or so seconds at idle, and is still hesitant under boost. there has been no check engine light or codes come up.

so far we have:

- removed and cleaned all the spark plugs and re-gapped them.

- tested the resistance of the coil pack and leads.

- looked inside the MAF to check for burns and the solders not being broken.

- checked to make sure there is sufficient fuel coming out of the pump/filter.

- made sure all intercooler piping and vac lines are on properly

the MAF and coils are going to an auto electrician to be tested to make sure they are not faulty tomorrow.

Just curious to see if anybody has experienced these problems before or has any ideas on what else the problem could be? any help would be hugely appreciated.

thanks in advanced. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...