Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

B4 Legacy

hi guys im planing to get a subaru b4 twin turbo for my next car since i havnt owned a subaru before just wondering what i should watch out for?? someone told me headgasket problems?

i just want tips and advice to run the car smoothly with no major engine issues? im a rookie with turbo cars so yeah would be great

Thanks

For $40 at the pump of Octane 98 I get 125kms.

Best tips check for any smoke coming out the exhaust, smoke very bad.

Check the oil has been changed regular, and make sure you keep up the services otherwise the turbos wont last long!

Get a turbo timer fitted. (unit about $165) and a 5 star alarm was required for me to get insurance on a B4. (im over 25) and I pay about $700 a year in premiums.

If your going for pure power a single turbo has more, but the b4 is still a very fast car, espically if your new too turbo cars.

I wouldn't bother with a turbo timer, just don't turn it straight off after giving it a thrash, its not very often you come straight the motorway and turn your car off anyway. The drive down your street at 50kmh on light load is a long enough cool down period, Subaru turbos are water cooled so that cool down period isn't as crucial like the old oil cooled units. Can cause problem with alarm if not correctly installed either... But def +1 for a decent alarm system.

Yeah im just going for a decent b4 not gna add anything to engine just the usual rims, subs etc

So turbo timer isnt nessary? So serviced every 5k is alright? What about the common headgasket rumour how can i avoid this or does it just happen if ppl dnt look after the car

• 2 months later...

Hi guys well i got a legacy now 1999 twin turbo, only thing bad was little drip of oil from rocker gasket into exhaust but got told from others its not serious ?? Car runs smooth with no hicups so yeah also wanted to ideas of what BOV would be best with nice sound to it and where to buy/install it around auckland area thanks

Great to see your now a subaru man! ;) I suggest if you want a BOV get a HKS SSQV one they arent cheap see: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/other/auction-504109360.htm but they are good Iv got a 2000 and a 2001 GT Legacy - and they both came with them when I bought the cars - I'v never had any boost issued caused by them either

Also to put your mind at ease about the Blown Head Gasket rumor - the 2.5L subarus had more problems with this - the 2.0L ones werent as bad - BUT in saying that the filler caps under the bonnet that are yellow - are YELLOW for a reason - check them and never let them get low and you will be fine ;)

Lol what are filler caps my car too lowered cant check ahah and what about the drip of oil that goes into exhaust i heard its not a major problem and its common?

Also i found a ssqv bov but its replica is there a big difference between them? Thanks

mesh90 said:

Lol what are filler caps my car too lowered cant check ahah and what about the drip of oil that goes into exhaust i heard its not a major problem and its common?

Also i found a ssqv bov but its replica is there a big difference between them? Thanks

Filler caps? - basicly i'm talking about your Oil, Water, Power steering, Gear Oil each of those caps are yellow, which means they need to be checked

Thanks guys for the help ill post pic of car once i get home ahah i love it so the bov i linked on page one shuld i get it or is it s***??

Thanks

562921_10151190862579665_796765212_n.jpg

I see but i think this one would be fine? Looks legit? And also shuld i get turbo timer from trade me or where ?? Any good places in northshore akld?

Thanks