Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GTB heads

Are GTB heads much different to standard heads and what are the worth to sell.

My engine stufed the big end, The price to grind the crank,new bearings, rings, etc, is way to much.

Trying to decide weather to get a second hand engine and sell off some parts eg heads.

What's your opinion?

rass said:

Are GTB heads much different to standard heads and what are the worth to sell.

My engine stufed the big end, The price to grind the crank,new bearings, rings, etc, is way to much.

Trying to decide weather to get a second hand engine and sell off some parts eg heads.

What's your opinion?

All depends really. If you were to get your engine reconditioned then its practically a new engine and would be worth it in the long term. On the other hand, if you want to get a second hand engine the risk is that later you might run into the same problem again, unless you are able to find a reconditioned engine for less than what yours would cost then go for it. So like I said, it depends. But maybe just keep watch for more info from others.

What i do know for sure though, is that they are nice heads, and i'm glad i got em.

Do make sure they are EJ20R heads though! Auto GTB's got the EJ20H heads which are pretty boring and not worth a whole lot. If it was a big end though, i'm guessing you do have the EJ20R

Also, forget about second hand... Really. Either get a rebuilt engine, rebuild yours, or sell the car and move on.

Another option is to see if any of the dealers still have the EJ207 shortblocks for sale. Bolt your heads etc onto that and basically a new engine. Much better than secondhand which you have no idea what condition its in and like the others have said, could end up doing the same as your last motor.

Thanks for your input.

Still not to sure what way to go.The mechanic that helped pull it out reconds the heads need a valve grind and re shiming,crack testing and planeing,

The engine recondishners want $700 to do that. What do you think?

Guest boostcut

thats a bit steep. at regal automotive in tauranga who does work for our workshop and also the likes of R.I.P.S in rotorua would be alot cheeper. your mechanic is trying to go on a holiday i think....

subout said:

I got a set of v3 sti ra heads for sale that are ported, reconditioned, valve grind, stripped and dipped cleaned, crack tested, all seals replaced, polished rocker covers. 1k

sweetJesus.gif

That looks like a fantastic deal, makes me wish i was rebuilding my engine again. I should hope you have receipts to back it up. :)

Bolt that up to an EJ207 short block, and you have yourself one killer motor.

Guest boostcut
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='subout said:

Sure do have receipts

/quote]

Ill swap you my mrs. Spent alot on her over the years, should have reciepts too.

+1 to that aye man! i keep thinking how im ever going to trade her in with that many miles on her aye....

Mrs's :) once there worn out, and stop working, it's time to find a new one :)

Just like a car really, except you cant fix a Mrs