Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Leone ... build slash re-build

GT_Head

Well, I went up from Dunedin to Christchurch on Sunday to pick up this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=490275194

Ad was around the wrong way as it should have read Turbo Leone car with free EA82T. The body is 97% rust free but the motor and running gear has seen many, many better years ............. got to Oamaru before oil leaks got the better of it and lost oil pressure. Check dipstick and it was dry, check at Ashburton was spot on so must have dropped about 3.5 litres of oil on SH1 in between! So parked on a side street and drove back to Dunedin and returned with salvage trailer and trusty Landcruiser this evening. Slow trip back to dunners and dropped off at work. Motor and gearbox out tomorrow night and get to work stripping down and assessing damage.

I know people are going to suggest EJxx transplant but to be honest I think I will stick with the EA to keep as stock as possible and this way if I build it all back up I know what has been done to it (which looks like head gaskets, cambelts, seals and maybe rings and bearings .... also there is less and less of these floating round let alone many in good condition.

The turbo made some nasty nasty noises before losing oil pressure so that's potentially scrap so was thinking maybe td04 or vf10 and an intercooler?? thoughts?? Have seen this done on an 4 rx turbo and like the idea. Also does anyone know that factory boost is for the EA82T??

Also scraping the dirty auto and fitting a manual box instead and was wondering about rear diff ratios. Does anyone know what ratios the auto run compared to the manual? Thinking the autos would have lower ratios as its a 3 speed compared to a 5 speed manual but anyones thoughts and expertise on the subject would be appreciated.

That is all for now, will post an update in the weekend with some progress photos hopefully and I will know then how deep this hole is I have dug myself.

Firstly a big thanks for rescuing it, as you said they are becoming rare as a rare thing :)

stock boost is about 9 psi ( this is what mine is putting out)

not sure about the diff ratios BUT i would guess at them being different as well, sourcing a RX manual box may prove difficult especially if you want a AWD one ( i have 2 parttime ones here) finding the RX rear diff will prove almost impossible and if you do find one expect to pay about $300 for one( what I sold my last spare for)...

I have a few bits and pieces here if you need anything :)

Fitting a WAIC to these is pretty common ( what I am going to do when I get time/motivation )

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I have sourced an AWD box and entire manual conversion for a good price I think but time will tell and I will know for sure when it is in my possesion !! Hmm pricey diff, the rx one is an lsd one I assume? May just have to settle for a part time diff in the meantime or hopefully my manual conversion price includes one ...

Good to know about the bits and pieces thanks heaps, I may have to take you up on that offer yet, will know in a few days what all gaskets and seals etc will cost me and if I'm going to have to start digging for things ...

if the manual conversion comes out of a RX then it should include a LSD rear diff, if it is out of a normal Leone then probably not.The rear diffs are expensive as they are fairly sort after and not just by Subaru owners either.

Only other thing to watch for is front axle compatibility, the Turbo Manuals have larger front drive shafts, than either the Auto or Non turbo,

We are borg said:

Only other thing to watch for is front axle compatibility, the Turbo Manuals have larger front drive shafts, than either the Auto or Non turbo,

Ok, thanks good to know. I may have a to do a bit of digging to find those but will see how I get on.

Put some oil in and started it up today, no bearing noise or anything nasty, turbo sounds like it has rocks in it but it ticks over on all four ok. Ordering head set and cambelt kit today and will get rear main etc as i progress through. Decided to wait until the weekend to start pulling to bits so I can have a good crack at it and not have to battle in bad light ...

Well its been a productive day, motor and gearbox out and started stripping motor down. Found lots of split hoses and vacuum lines. Found it had no thermostat at all and radiator about half full of rusty crap. Crank seal was hosing out and the shaft on the turbo moves like it has zero bearings left!! Here is a few photos of my progress so far .......

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0508.jpg

DSCF0510.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

Heads will be off and away for a skim this week and will have to weld flange onto up and down pipes to get a td04/vf10 to fit. Have an intercooler off an old r31 skyline that will be going on as it has inlets in pretty good places for some compact pipework! Found that the battery box had rusted out quite badly so it will be cut out and a another one welded in its place. Getting the little bit of rust under one of the rear windows cut out at the same time. Then in goes the manual box and diff .... looking forward to it getting done and being able to drive it!!! May need to get a bonnet scoop made up too, was thinking one off a early mitsi Pajero turbo might look ok. Don't think the wrx ones will look any good as they are all quite round and the leone is very boxy and square!

Hey good luck

As themostat was removed it was probably over heating (as you mentioned rusty crap in radiator) so may have cracked heads / clogged/scaled radiator.

l saved my 10 year old 86 leone wagon at 200k ie radiator 85% blocked (flow tested) thanks to previous owners lack of maintenance and had to be dismantled and rodded out, also water consumption out exhaust, suspected cracked head/s- gasket/s so tried iron tight (chemi weld) and that car ran for 13 more years and + 160k while l had it.

Cheers, when I was driving back from Christchurch I hadn't even got to Ashburton before I had to pull over and give it a breather as the temp gauge was creeping up towards the hot! After that the temp behaved perfectly until turbo I will strip right down to a short block and assess, fingers crossed no cracked heads or anything nasty. Otago wreckers in Dunedin are pretty sweet to deal with, and because we deal with them a bit with work they have always looked after me. Will be paying them a visit this week to scrounge for bits. They said if I buy an awd gearbox off them, I am welcome to any other bits I need provided I pull them out/find them myself ...

I have had both end tanks pulled off the radiator and cleaned out on Friday, the whole bottom third was blocked up so should be ok now ...

Stodart said:

These manual wagons had 3.9 diffs (l have owned 2 of them) on 13" rims, as a point of interest my 01 out back runs the same speeds in gears but 4.1 on 16"

Good to know thanks, this one is an auto so will have to get a manual diff as part of my conversion. Having a look today though they are only held in by 6 bolts .... mint!

Quick update, had the heads and cambuckets off today. Head gasket definitely blown on 1 potentially 3 out of 4 cylinders!! Only had one seized bolt and it was one of the ones that go through the inlet manifold and into the head ... it wasn't seized in the head it was seized on the shaft in the manifold! So heads and cambuckets away tomorrow and should be back for the reassemble next week.

It has definitely a sad panda, all the radiator pipes are so thin I'm getting some fresh ones made from stainless (lucky to have a close friend who is a stainless steel fabricator) The water return from the turbo was blocked solid! and there was so much vegemite in around the cams.

A question, will I need a manual bellhousing or is the auto/manual ones the same?? Also, do the EA82's have double valve springs from factory??

oh dear! nice 1 to know ,don't know much about engine internals to be of any help coz never had to go there with mine and the only thing in the drive line I had to deal with was a new clutch. "We Are borg" is probably your man to talk to

We are borg said:

never had my heads to bits either :) I can have a look it my parts book if you want to find out :)

the bell housings are the same ( I am guessing you mean the engine side the not the gearbox side )

Wicked, good to know about the bellhousings thanks.

After having a bit of a troll through this post about a EA82 on LPG,

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6988&page=6

it seems that all EA82's use the same valve spring setup and yes, double valve sprung from factory!! I don't trust everything I read on the net but supports this theory.

subi4snow said:

Sounds awesome mate! Glad your back with us.

Let me know if there's any work you want a hand with (not that im good for much except lifting and drinking a few beers ;D)

Sweet as man cheers, yeah couldn't stay away for long thats for sure. When its all back together I'll get you to cast your eye over it and see what you think ...

Well bit of an update ... heads will be ready for pickup on Thursday, all good apparently which I'm happy about. Semi bad news though, pulled the pistons out after work tonight and one cylinder is really badly worn, #1 if I remember correctly. So it will be getting a re bore, some new oversized pistons rings etc etc. I had already ordered rings and bearings. So the big ends and mains will be ok but does anyone want a set of brand new piston rings (standard sized)? Oh well, this motor is going to be brand spank when I'm done. Intercooler will be turning up shortly too so then I can get some piping made up for it. Tomorrow lunchtime mission will be splitting the block .....

Will take camera to work tomorrow and take some update pics. Might start pulling pedal box and centre console and shifter out on Thursday which will take my mind off the block for a day or two.

• 1 month later...
 Stodart said:

Hi How's it going/progress with rebuild?

Sloooooooly gathering bits. Have undersized big ends and mains just waiting on gasket kit and new oversized piston kit to arrive from the US of A. Heads are all skimmed and ready to go and intercooler is here ready to go. I can get the block re-bored once the pistons arrive and the crank ground now but waiting and going to get them all done in one hit.

I will need a few more bits but just working on getting the long block together. Have had a mate fabricate me some new coolant pipes out of stainless steel so will be keen to see those bolted on as well!!

Going to put a td04 on so will need a gc8 downpipe when motor is going back in, just a factory one for starters and get it mobile and a wof on so I can drive it!!

• 1 month later...