Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

should i go for a 6s ecu?

subaru-mania

okay well have been thinking about changing my ecu out in my v3 gf8 , mods done so far are, full 3inch exhaust from turbo back, ( 1 resonator in mid) external wastegate, yellow injectors , tdo4 , bigger sti top mount ,runs 12 psi daily , thinking on putting a 6s ecu in it, from what iv gathered this will raise boost to 18 psi? and has more of an aggressive tune? thoughts?

Cheers

many have done it, you'll need an orange afm, yellows and the 6s.

a few have swapped in a vf22 for a bit of a kick too, as the tdo4 has a totally different boost curve.

you'll notice now that the td04 runs out of puff above about 4500 rpm, where as a vf 22/23/24 will generally keep a good amount of boost through till redline.

oh, be careful you don't over rev. the sti ecu has a higher rev limit, and being a shim over bucket head, you may spit a shim (not good)

yeah the tdo4 defiantly runs out of puff after about 4k or so , have quite a bad miss at the moment when i get over 4.5k on boost in 4th/5th , last guy before me did not do much servicing , doing an oil change & plugs this weekend so will see if it makes a difference for the miss. otherwise im guessing the coil/leads could be breaking up under load,

0.8mm gap is fine - even an iridium at a 1.1mm gap will blow out the spark

and copper is a better conductor than iridium :P

bit of wack info on this thread here

first off are u runing yellow injectors and a green maf on a non sti ecu? or yellows and a orange on a 1s???

so many people (who havent even had experience with a 6s) are like a broken record saying stuff

I for the record have run a high compression wrx motor on a 6s - yellow injectors and orange maf without problems - had a walbro pump (which is a MUST for anything modified unless you wanna kill it)

and for the kick - it was a daily driver - same motor lasted over 2 years straight - running 20psi boost on a vf23 (previously had vf22)

had it on the dyno - solid 11.0 - 11.5 AFR and no detonation what so ever - this IS a unopened WRX motor with 6s - yellows and orange maf

afterwards even went to a modified 6s (mines 6s) and still had no detonation issues even with the more aggresive timing maps

Im unsure what the deal with the motor thats in my v3 is, it has yellows, but the a/f is not a factoryu green or orange sticker 1 its some after market 1 by the looks il chuck up a pic

Next question is what a/f meter should i be on then? my ecu i s a A8

oh i just clicked u have the other thread running

your motor is a ver 5 non sti and the ecu is a ver 5 non sti - it will be running the insert type AFM - it doesnt have a coloured sticker as such as thats only on ver 1-4 (coloured labels)

Haha yer mate

so motor has been swapped at some point then yeah? its also running a factor tdo4 , are they in the v5 non sti also? as the cars only a 96 v3

But yer iv never seen the type of afm it has like you said it has no sticker or nothing.. and its longer

all ver 5-6 run that style afm so dont be alarmed

for the car to run properly with a ver 5 motor it would have (and must have) ver 5 motor - ver 5 loom - ver 5 ecu - ver 5 afm and ver 5 injectors

i dont have much experience with the later ver 5-6 stuff but i think some other sensors are different aswell - i know the AICV is different (on the throttle body)

yea 6s wont work -it would take alot of work for it to work

j2 is the sti ecu to use

theres alot of talk on here about j2s detonating on a wrx motor - but like most myths there are no results

i have honestly been waiting so long for someone to put a wrx motor with a j2 on the dyno to see what happens

lolol upping the fuel pressure is a very crude way of running a car richer

the main reason is that a sti ecu runs more aggressive timing maps - ie it advances the timing more on boost - advanced timing = more power

a higher compression motor is more prone to detonation therefore u would normally run less timing on a higher compression motor than a lower compression motor

a sti is lower compression than a wrx motor

but on a ver 3 i had run a sti ecu (and so have so many others) and had no detonation issues

ive seen ver 5-6 wrx stis on dyno before with stock fuel pump - they run pretty lean compared to a ver 3

WRXONP said:

lolol upping the fuel pressure is a very crude way of running a car richer

the main reason is that a sti ecu runs more aggressive timing maps - ie it advances the timing more on boost - advanced timing = more power

a higher compression motor is more prone to detonation therefore u would normally run less timing on a higher compression motor than a lower compression motor

a sti is lower compression than a wrx motor

but on a ver 3 i had run a sti ecu (and so have so many others) and had no detonation issues

ive seen ver 5-6 wrx stis on dyno before with stock fuel pump - they run pretty lean compared to a ver 3

Interesting, i have a walbro intake pump , yellows, tdo4 but changing to a a vf23, straight thru 3" from turbo back, external wastegate etc you think its safe chucking in the j2 with these mods?

Any idea what the boost would be set at on a J2? might pay to get a boost controller right?

you run an external gate - it should not be hooked upto the factory solenoid anyway - if it is u should plumb it up properly - the standard solenoid isnt setup to run an external wastegate

i would love to see one run up on the dyno with a knock link and a air fuel probe banged up its bum

WRXONP said:

you run an external gate - it should not be hooked upto the factory solenoid anyway - if it is u should plumb it up properly - the standard solenoid isnt setup to run an external wastegate

i would love to see one run up on the dyno with a knock link and a air fuel probe banged up its bum

Yeep pretty sure the guy i brought the car off hooked the external into the factory solenoid ? whats the correct way to plumb it up? iv never run a external b4