Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel pump and Coil

Hey guys,

Have a 95 Legacy GT and planning on going single turbo soon. From what I've read, replacing the fuel pump and coil (especially on cars of this age) is a good move to do at the same time - especially when modifying and increasing power.

Is this true? Approx how much would it cost to buy and install these both?

Cheers!

You probably mean coilpacks.. they are around $100 each, so $400 total (you're best to replace all 4). Easy to install, just takes a bit of time and you'd have to do it anyway if you were doing the sparkplugs. Fuel pump, can't say how easy, but a walbro was going to set me back around $180 last time I looked.. that may have been before the exchange rate went tits up though.

Cheers guys,

Just wondering what gains, either driving wise or damage prevention wise etc will i see from these? just wanting to know if they are something that should be replaced when increasing power above stock.

Guest boostcut

definately put a new fuel pump in and check voltage at the pump before cranking the boost into the grenade

Pump as above. Coils - it depends how old they are. Mine tend to pack up every 3 years (coil-in-head design.. genius.), and when they do they cause missfires galore. If you try cranking up the output you'll start running in to problems with bad coils as they'll missfire more the higher the load you put through the engine.. a definite replace if you're looking to get decent power out.

right ok good good. wow i didnt realise coilpacks would be that expensive!

i wonder if the coils are to do with some of the problems ive been having. when they misfire under heavy load it would feel like a bit of a stutter/hesitation right?? i wonder if i've been misinterpreting these for boostcuts............. whenever i feel that hesitation i usually back off because i assume its about to cut out (which it did actually do when the exhaust was unrestricted)

when a car hits boost cut would there be any warning before hand like a hesitation or would it just go from full power to zero power in a moment?

cheers!

Guest boostcut

that could be boostcut but it could also be the spark being blown out, what plugs are you using? they may be old and have a too bigger gap. i gap some of the rb30det plugs at work to 0.9mm and they dont have a problem, some are running up to 24psi boost. have you checked coils ever? and they are a bit more expencive going genuine unless you can get some thru hopai but repco has them on the shelf which are genuine ones in a different box for about 80 bux trade.

oh right. only bought the car about 8 months ago so as of yet havnt changed the plugs or checked the coils. if i have the plugs changed by a mechanic will they know what size they should be gapped at or should i make sure they know?

maybe ill change the plugs first (any suggestions on type??) and see if that solves it.

cheers for the tip about the repco coils, that'll save me some money if i have to go down that path.

The shuddering/missfire/hesitation under load is most probably the coilpacks (mine are up for replacement now and it does the same thing), but nasty plugs wont help either. Boost cut is a total cut in power.. it'll be like someone just turned your engine off for a second.

It takes longer to do the plugs than the coil packs, so if you're going to get a mechanic to do them then you might as well do it all at once. Otherwise, if you're keen to do the plugs yourself, I often try out new spark gap sizes using the copper plugs. They cost around $5 retail each and you just gap them to where you think's good (0.7-0.8mm for me). They only last around 10-20,000kms though.. otherwise the long-term iridium or platinum plugs come pre-gapped so you don't need to adjust them.

I had no idea that repco did the legacy coils (they're in-head design, a bit of a bastard), so that's awesome to know too!

Guest boostcut

I had no idea that repco did the legacy coils (they're in-head design, a bit of a bastard), so that's awesome to know too!

yeah man just tell them single or two bolt and they will be able to sort you out..(in saying this i get them from repco tauranga) and all stores may not have them.

right so I went into repco and asked for a quote on legacy coilpacks and he said around $150 for one bolt and $210 for two bolt each!! now im guessing this is for the factory subaru ones..... so do you no the brand/company name of these cheaper versions?? and can you verify that they are no different from the stock ones?

oh and how do i know whether i have a two bolt or one bolt design?

cheers!

Guest boostcut

for a start that is a retail price... they want to make money not give them away to every joe blow that walks in off the street. i get them for the top trade price as our company spends up to $15000 bux a month.. i can organise you 4 if you want for around 110including each. what year is your car? jam your hand down on the battery side of the motor and feel for the coil. you should have 1 bolt but best to be sure.

Hey car is a 95, havnt checked how many bolts it has yet though cos ive been at work all day. cheers for the offer as well by the way - might have to get back to you about that when ive got some money together. along with four spark plugs its going to be a reasonably expensive job :S

You'll probably have the 1 bolt type. Use copper plugs, they're $5 each retail.. only last 20,000kms though, but they're great for regapping to your own spec. The longer lasting but not as good platinum or iridiums are something outrageous like $20-25 each